Moparts

Dumb rim question

Posted By: cudaboy

Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 09:42 PM

What kind of time are these? I need to get two more so the fronts match the rears.

Thanks

Dennis

Attached picture 8291644-image.jpg
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 09:46 PM

Looks to be a common "Smoothie" aftermarket steel wheel.
They are dual bolt pattern most of the time hence the other set of holes. (Other bolt pattern would be 5 on 4 3/4 I would guess)
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 09:49 PM

Looks like unilug- both 4.5" ford \chysler and 4.75"gm. Get some better wheels front and back. Factory style steelies can be bought at Jegs and Summit under $100 each.

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 09:52 PM

Quote:

Looks like unilug- both 4.5" ford \chysler and 4.75"gm. Get some better wheels front and back. Factory style steelies can be bought at Jegs and Summit under $100 each.

Better ?

Nothing wrong with dual bolt pattern centers, I buy hundreds of them from Carlise wheel...

They are stamped tha way, not drilled.

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 10:15 PM

Better
Ones that are true to the application- not some fits everything universal junk. Backspacing is important too. Unilugs suck. My
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 10:19 PM

Thanks. I thought they were stock, but I don't know rims very well. I guess I will just buy four matching ones.

Dennis

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 10:26 PM

Quote:

Better
Ones that are true to the application- not some fits everything universal junk. Backspacing is important too. Unilugs suck. My

They are not uni-lug wheels. Unilug wheels have a single hole for each stud that is a slot shape basically, and use a large or oval shape washer on a mag style nut.

Dual pattern wheels have 2 seperate sets of holes for each bolt pattern. Being a stamped steel center, there is no problem at all with them.

But to each their own I suppose...but if they fit fine seems like a waste to change them unless you just wanted to for some other reason.

You could buy another pair of smoothie steelies for the front and be off and running, if you wanted at least.

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 11:18 PM

Unilug may sell well on another continent where there are few affordable options but here in North America, USA especially, we don't need to buy one fits all. We have choices. And us old heads don't like junk. Export that.

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/05/14 11:48 PM

Look up most all the Smoothie and most of the repro ralley (GM) being made now, here in the USA and they will be dual pattern centers.

Carlise, wheel vintiques, etc probably sell many thousands of them a year.

Re: Dumb rim question - 10/06/14 12:50 AM

They can sell all they want. They couldn't give a set to me. I know what fits mine and won't need to swap my used wheels onto anyone's chevy. Dual bolt patterns look dumb. Straight up stupid.
© 2024 Moparts Forums