Moparts

Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal?

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/03/09 05:25 PM

Planning on doing some filler work on the Demon today. I will turn the heat on in the shop to get the air temp up to comfortable 55-60 degrees but was wondering if I could apply filler to the cold metal (30 degrees)?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/03/09 05:29 PM

its not advisable, but can, and is, done. You can use a little more hardener to accelerate the process, but you're also creating a more brittle filler OR risking an incomplete cure.

Couldn't you at least blow a hair dryer on the areas you're going to fill for a few minutes first?
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/03/09 05:34 PM

I will turn the heat on and wait awhile for the metal to heat up (I can apply spot heat like you mentioned too).

Thanks for the advice
Posted By: Neil

Re: Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/03/09 06:22 PM

Set one of these up next to the spot your working on. They release a lot of heat and will keep the metal plenty warm enough. Any hardware store should have them and they are dirt cheap.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518XWMAZFML._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Posted By: BigBird

Re: Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/03/09 07:02 PM

Quote:

Planning on doing some filler work on the Demon today. I will turn the heat on in the shop to get the air temp up to comfortable 55-60 degrees but was wondering if I could apply filler to the cold metal (30 degrees)?

Yes ..... done it a bunch and never had it fail.... It will shrink more than one done in a warm shop.... Need to prime it and let it warm up before you do a final block sand or it will show on the final project after it has been in the hot sun.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/03/09 07:26 PM

I got some of those red heat lamps and put them in a clamp on drop lamp socket. I used it to warm the metal and help dry the bondo. You can clamp them to the car, chairs, sawhorses etc to position them just right.

Plus this

Is cheap and works great.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Quick Question: Can you apply filler on COLD metal? - 01/04/09 12:43 AM

heat the metal up first or you risk the chance of condensation forming between the filler and the cold body panel as the filler set's up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums