Moparts

Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc

Posted By: AlexP

Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 06:24 PM

So I've got some bad tears in my vinyl top. Long story, but it's got about 2- 6" holes in it.

I'd like to pull it off, but I don't want to put another top on at the moment. I'd just to finish the roof off and paint it. It just needs to be a 20footer in black (preferably textured) for a few months til I take the car in for a full paint job.

Has anyone ever done this? I'd just like a heavy duty black semi-gloss or matte finish. I'll be leaving all the trim on the car.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 07:18 PM

Assuming you are taking the car in for paint in a few months, why make more labor with something that will cost time (money) to be removed?
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 07:29 PM

I've painted the top on two cars after removing the vinyl.... Most people swear they are vinyl until they get close.... I don't even bother to try to to make it look textured ... Just spray it!!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 08:31 PM

Yeras ago they sold a paint that simulated vinyl tops.I had my 65s done with the 2 strips down it.Looked just like vinyl.Lasted at least 12 years.Rocky
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 08:33 PM

Plastidip. I would think you could hold it back to create some spatter effect.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 08:58 PM

Look up the rustoleum painting thread. Maybe an option there.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 09:12 PM

What paint did Mopar use on the roof of the '70-'71 D100 that had a vinyl top appearance?

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 10:26 PM

Quote:

Assuming you are taking the car in for paint in a few months, why make more labor with something that will cost time (money) to be removed?

I want a weekend project that can make the car still look decent until it gets painted.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 10:48 PM

Quote:

I want a weekend project that can make the car still look decent until it gets painted.

2-8" strips of black duct tape will make it a 20-footer, but that's not much of a project. But thinking out loud: If you really want a project, spray it with flat black, cover it with lace that has a constant pattern (not all that fancy stuff), and then coat it with a semi-gloss paint. If it were me, I'd probably go the duct tape route...

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Talk to your local paint jobber and explain what you want to do. There should be something available, like an inexpensive industrial paint with hardener. If too glossy, you can always add some flattening agent to it.
Posted By: radar

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/02/14 11:13 PM

Rubberized bedliner?
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

Rubberized bedliner?

He said he wanted to paint it in a couple of months...ever try to get bedliner off?

I vote for leave it alone or use some black duct tape.

Dave
Posted By: coffeeman383

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 12:19 AM

Krylon!

Attached picture 8259243-paint_template-1.jpg

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rubberized bedliner?

He said he wanted to paint it in a couple of months...ever try to get bedliner off?

Dave

I've thought about the duct tape. Gorilla tape....but the heat makes it come right off.

I'm swapping to the hemi to make it more of a driver...I'd really like the painted top to get me to go a little longer. I intend on driving the paint off of it.

You can kinda seen the tear in the roof in this picture...but it's been "edited" lol

Posted By: davenc

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 02:03 AM

Other's asked, why the concern with the texture? You can paint the top gloss black and from 20' you likely will not be able to tell the difference. Chrysler painted some vehicles two-tone from the factory. If you do a decent job on the top, it should look quite nice, perhaps even "factory".
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rubberized bedliner?

Dave

I've thought about the duct tape. Gorilla tape....but the heat makes it come right off.

I'm swapping to the hemi to make it more of a driver...I'd really like the painted top to get me to go a little longer. I intend on driving the paint off of it.

You can kinda seen the tear in the roof in this picture...but it's been "edited" lol

Where's the pooch?

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 04:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rubberized bedliner?

Dave

Where's the pooch?

I'd rather not talk about it.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 04:56 AM

Quote:

It just needs to be a 20footer in black (preferably textured) .

Be good for 20 years or so.

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 03:33 PM

Even if you are doing paint later, why not just replace the top now? One and done.

Like I said before, you have labor to some pull the top off and prep that surface for paint anyway.

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Even if you are doing paint later, why not just replace the top now? One and done.

Like I said before, you have labor to some pull the top off and prep that surface for paint anyway.

I don't think I'm going back with the vinyl. I'd like to put the steel hood back on and go turbine bronze metallic over everything.
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 04:41 PM

Then use black primer.

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

I don't think I'm going back with the vinyl. I'd like to put the steel hood back on and go turbine bronze metallic over everything.

Gotcha. Then talk to the paint jobber and see what's available. There has to be something in a matte finish that is cost effective. You really don't want a primer as you don't get the UV protection. It will chalk up fast in the sun.
Posted By: HuntinCuda

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 07:22 PM

Can't believe plastidip didn't get more votes, that would be perfect. Has the heavier matte look even with a little texture and when you don't want it any longer it peels right off. It's actually made to be removed when you're ready. I've seen wheels, badges, grills..just about everything done in that stuff.

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/03/14 08:00 PM

Quote:

Can't believe plastidip didn't get more votes, that would be perfect. Has the heavier matte look even with a little texture and when you don't want it any longer it peels right off. It's actually made to be removed when you're ready. I've seen wheels, badges, grills..just about everything done in that stuff.

That could work. Probably doesn't have much UV protection. But for the short term...

How many cans would it take to do a top, and is it too large a surface area to get it to spray out nice?
Posted By: HuntinCuda

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/04/14 04:02 PM

I don't think you'd have an issue at all getting it to spray nice. People have done entire cars. They also make a spray for after you dip for UV protection and added scratch resistance. This stuff is almost made for what you are looking to do. I put a link below to check out their site. It's cheap too. You can get it at lowes for like 9 bucks a can and I would think 3 or 4 cans tops would do it.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?gclid=CNHukLDcx8ACFa_m7AodbysAUw
Posted By: GeorgeH

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/05/14 03:40 PM

3M chip gaurd/ rocker panel spay(there's 2 different textures available)and a few black spray bombs. But, I'm with the once and done theory on this as the factory leaded seams are not usually 100% to look nice painted without additional bodywork.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Simulated Vinyl Top? Paint...Etc - 09/05/14 04:48 PM

Carwrap vinyl with vinyltop look.

Attached picture 8261854-auto-wrap-buiten-spiegel.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums