Moparts

Speedo Sending Unit

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Speedo Sending Unit - 08/23/14 07:51 PM

I have aftermarket gauges in the Dart and am trying to figure out what I need for the speedo input. It is a single wire/signal input.

Is there something I can use with an A833 to produce this signal? I don't have the install instructions for the speedometer in front of me (need to find them).

Thanks.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Speedo Sending Unit - 08/23/14 09:58 PM

The speed sensor for most aftermarket speedos will thread onto the same place on the trans that the mechanical speedo cable does. Some have a sensor that installs closer to the speedo (needs a cable with a threaded end up top).
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Speedo Sending Unit - 08/23/14 10:11 PM

As John mentioned...they screw onto the trans speedometer cable output most times.

Along the lines of this.. (just the first one that came up in a generic search keep in mind)

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Auto-Meter-5291-GM-Electric-Speedometer-Sending-Unit,5261.html

A buddy of mine has VDO gauges and the sending unit looks a little different but still along the same lines.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Speedo Sending Unit - 08/23/14 10:27 PM

You need to match the sending unit to the speedo you are using. Speedo manufactures website should have the info.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Speedo Sending Unit - 08/24/14 12:10 AM

Yep, you will need a sending unit like shown. It will further need calibration because of the unknowns like gear ratio and tire size.

The one I installed you had to measure out a mile and drive it. Pushing the calibration mode button before and at the finish of the mile. Then its calibrated, your speedo will have the instructions.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Speedo Sending Unit - 08/24/14 03:56 AM

Thanks. I looked at those today. What is the size for the a833? Is it 7/8s?

Also saw the GPS units which are kinda cool too.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Speedo Sending Unit - 08/24/14 02:22 PM

if i recall, i think the thread size is 7/8-20.
© 2024 Moparts Forums