Moparts

squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED IT !!!

Posted By: 72N96RR

squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED IT !!! - 08/11/14 03:04 AM

I have no idea why but just turning the steering wheel side to side there is this strange groan /squeak coming from inside the column..Ive never torn apart a column..Is there something inside in need of grease or a bearing or bushing of some kind?? Please help !!!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 03:22 AM

There is a bearing at the top of the column under the steering wheel.

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 04:15 AM

Quote:

Is it metal or nylon or what and who would carry such a part??
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 07:42 AM

Just try rublicating it first.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 08:46 AM

On engine side of firewall, try shooting a shot of WD 40 up into the steering column/shaft. The straw attachment on the WD 40 can makes this a bit easier.

Simpler to try this first before pulling steering wheel to lube upper bearing.
Posted By: feets

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is it metal or nylon or what and who would carry such a part??

It's a thin roller thrust beating. It likely needs a little lube.

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 08:43 PM

Quote:

On engine side of firewall, try shooting a shot of WD 40 up into the steering column/shaft. The straw attachment on the WD 40 can makes this a bit easier.

The object of trying WD 40 from the engine side is not to lube upper bearing. A squeak can develop at the lower end if the steering shaft,,,the noise then is carried up the column and gives the appearance of an upper bearing problem.

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The object of trying WD 40 from the engine side is not to lube upper bearing. A squeak can develop at the lower end if the steering shaft,,,the noise then is carried up the column and gives the appearance of an upper bearing problem.

I was afraid to squirt anything anywhere just because of the wiring inside..Dont want to cause addition issues or a meltdown..
Thanks for the info guys!!
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/11/14 11:30 PM

Quote:

Is this a new product?? Or a procedure???

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/12/14 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was afraid to squirt anything anywhere just because of the wiring inside..Dont want to cause addition issues or a meltdown..

There is no wiring at this point in the column. Wiring from turn signal and ignition switch exits several inches up the column from this point. WD 40 is considered benign,,,in fact is sometimes used to reinvigorate wiring, particularly ignition wiring that has gotten water soaked.

Even odds that's where your squeak is. Let us know when you find it and fix it,,,heaven knows that I have a bunch that I would like to find too. It's a Mopar after all.

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/15/14 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is no wiring at this point in the column. Wiring from turn signal and ignition switch exits several inches up the column from this point. WD 40 is considered benign,,,in fact is sometimes used to reinvigorate wiring, particularly ignition wiring that has gotten water soaked.

Even odds that's where your squeak is. Let us know when you find it and fix it,,,heaven knows that I have a bunch that I would like to find too. It's a Mopar after all.

Squirted WD-40 up the collar under the hood and the groan and squeeks ARE NO MORE !!!!!! I appreciate all the great advice from ALL of you...

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/15/14 04:15 AM

NOW I need to figure out why my beep beep horn is not working..installed a brand new one..nothing..
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! - 08/16/14 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a new product?? Or a procedure???

I must admit, I can't take the credit for inventing the word 'rublicate'. I heard Freiburger say it and I liked it. Now it's part of my vocabulation.
Posted By: feets

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/16/14 04:22 AM

Quote:

NOW I need to figure out why my beep beep horn is not working..installed a brand new one..nothing..

Horn relay.

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/16/14 07:33 PM

Quote:

Pull horn button. Ensure that wire that you see is connected at tab at the top. And then pull(lightly please) on wire to ensure that is properly connected to horn slip ring.

If not connected at that end, then the fix gets a bit more complicated and expensive. You can guess how it is that I know this.

Could also be relay as noted, or the horn grounding wire at the connector where it enters into the steering column.

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/17/14 06:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pull horn button. Ensure that wire that you see is connected at tab at the top. And then pull(lightly please) on wire to ensure that is properly connected to horn slip ring.

If not connected at that end, then the fix gets a bit more complicated and expensive. You can guess how it is that I know this.

Could also be relay as noted, or the horn grounding wire at the connector where it enters into the steering column.

The steering wheel has three separate horn buttons..
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/17/14 06:53 AM

Quote:

As it should...

(Start by seeing if yer getting power to the horn(s))...
Posted By: slimert

Re: squeeking is making me carazy.!!! FIXED!!!!!!!! - 08/22/14 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As it should...

(Start by seeing if yer getting power to the horn(s))...

Agree...also if fresh paint, check the horns have good ground to metal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums