Moparts

1971 Dart: What causes overcharging?

Posted By: ragtop

1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/30/14 02:38 AM

My factory Alt meter is almost pegged at cruise. What is the cause? Thanks.
Posted By: brads70

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/30/14 02:41 AM

bad voltage regulator
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/30/14 02:54 AM

As Brad said likely the reg. 2 field terminal alt/flat 70 up style reg I am assuming. The batt is fully charged & this just happened out of the blue without a batt change? What I'm saying is you are not using the car to charge up a run down battery correct? Un plug the triangle reg terminal till you solve this as this "full fielded" condition is extremely damaging to the batt/terminals/bulkhead/any lights or accessories on as they ain't designed for 15+ volts even for brief periods of time and haveing the batt deep cycle a bit from being run down some ain't the best for a batt but is the lesser of 2 evils (by far). With reg connector plugged back for a moment in I would unplug the green field wire from the alt for a quick test & if it stops charging then I'd likely get a new flat reg.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/30/14 02:58 AM

Simply a bad ground at the voltage regulator could also cause this. Unbolt the regulator, clean up a few spots so there is bare metal showing. Hit with some grease, re-attach regulator and see if it still does it.

If it does, then yes, bad reg.
Posted By: ragtop

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/30/14 04:20 AM

Thanks. I will try all those things you posted tomorrow. Thank you.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/30/14 05:35 AM

If the green wire is grounded (pinched in the valve cover for example) then you will get full field action out of the alternator.
Posted By: ScottG

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/31/14 12:08 AM

Go to Autozone and get a solid state regulator. They are around $20 and work great.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 1971 Dart: What causes overcharging? - 07/31/14 06:16 AM

Quote:

Go to Autozone and get a solid state regulator. They are around $20 and work great.

All dual field terminal alternators use solid state regulators, stock.
© 2024 Moparts Forums