Moparts

Speaker question

Posted By: B1arno

Speaker question - 07/27/14 03:11 AM

I'm working on a friends 72 Demon with a stock AM radio. The stock speaker in the dash is toast so he wants me to put a pair of 6x9s in the rear deck(which was cut by the PO)just so he can listen to something. I'm wondering what I should look for. I don't want speakers that take a lot of power to drive. Do I want single cone with small magnets? Or can that radio drive something a little better?

Thanks
Arno
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Speaker question - 07/27/14 06:55 AM

I'd recomend just ordering a correct 8 ohm 4x10 reproduction dash speaker from turnswitch.com . Keep in mind ,The factory AM only puts out 2 1/2 watts .
It's a mono radio , so You are going to only be able to run one speaker (unless you use a factory fader switch), and you have to use an 8 ohm speaker , most if not all modern over the counter speakers are 4 ohm and will overheat the radios output transformer.

Greg
Posted By: can.al

Re: Speaker question - 07/27/14 02:54 PM

will 2 4 ohm speakers in series be o.k.?
Posted By: Dan Halen

Re: Speaker question - 07/27/14 04:11 PM

You can run them in series but you'll be splitting that blistering 2.5W. between them.

Re: Speaker question - 07/27/14 05:04 PM

This is interesting. I had forgotten about the 4ohm vs 8ohm issue. I didn't realize it could do damage if you you use the 4ohm with a vintage radio. I'm reluctant to install a new 4x10 because it is a SOB to get to. I already had the radio out and the instrument cluster pulled back and couldn't get up in there. That's why I'm hoping to put something in the rear deck.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Speaker question - 07/27/14 05:31 PM

Quote:

This is interesting. I had forgotten about the 4ohm vs 8ohm issue. I didn't realize it could do damage if you you use the 4ohm with a vintage radio. I'm reluctant to install a new 4x10 because it is a SOB to get to. I already had the radio out and the instrument cluster pulled back and couldn't get up in there. That's why I'm hoping to put something in the rear deck.

yes, it can cause the radio to over heat similar to a stock coil with no ballast resistor. same theory. just order the correct 6x9's and stop worrying.

Re: Speaker question - 07/29/14 01:51 AM

My friend brought over a pair of cheap 6x9s yesterday and I installed them
today in series to keep the impedence at 8ohms. They sound pretty good for
what it is. All is well. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Arno
© 2024 Moparts Forums