Moparts

Question about my rear drum brakes

Posted By: ProSport

Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/22/14 09:26 PM

I have a dumb question, why are the brake pad/shoe springs sticking out past the pad/shoe and rubbing against my brake drum?

Do I need wider brake pads/shoes or do I need shorter spring rods to pull the springs in tighter?
This is a 72 Duster.
Thanks

Attached picture 8216424-20140722_150900.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/22/14 10:06 PM

Not a dumb Q at all. Shorter rods (brake nails) I would assume. 8&3/4 SBP rear uses shallow SBP specific backing plates/1&3/4" shoes/drums. the convex side goes inward on the dime sized round holddown spring retainers

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/22/14 10:26 PM

Ok thanks I will look for shorter brake nails.

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/22/14 10:31 PM

Likely you could cut yours then tamp the end(s) flat. As you know measure twice/cut once

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/22/14 10:55 PM

That's a good idea, what's the best way to tamp one of those?

My pins are 2 3/8 total length. I might go to Summit Racing and look at Dorman part number HW1106, those are suppose to be for the Mopar A-body with 1 3/4 brakes.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/22/14 11:05 PM

Why go to summit when you can go to the local parts store and get the same thing for a lot less.

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/23/14 12:44 AM

I googled em to see if the length was listed & it was not but in the pics the swedge on the end looks pretty healthy & not sure you could get it that wide with a hammer & as Stump said it might be the easiest to just hit your parts store. They're certainly cheap enough

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/23/14 01:47 AM

Quote:

Why go to summit when you can go to the local parts store and get the same thing for a lot less.

Yea they probably sell them everywhere, I have to go to Summit and it's only $2.97 for a box of 4 which is all I need.

I don't know why they don't list the lengths, it would make things easier, I might end up having them bring out a bunch of boxes to find some shorter ones.
Posted By: VL21

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/23/14 11:28 AM

Likely you were just given a kit for 10x2" brakes ... which was (obviously) wrong.

Looks like the self adjuster cable has slack in it?

Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/23/14 12:05 PM

I had the same problem on my dart. Turns out the kit I had was designed for both sizes of shoes. It came with longer nails and short ones. I found out almost the hard way as the drum nearly ate through the spring retainer!!

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/23/14 03:36 PM

Looking at the pic again it sure looks like the hold down springs ain't close enough to coil bind which they should be somewhat closer to it as the shoes need to be held in there pretty tight
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/23/14 06:02 PM

Are all the retainers the same depth, inner and outer? You may have 2 different ones.
Instead of cutting and reshaping the end just add a washer or 3 to the head of the nail before it goes through the backing plate.
Posted By: Geo4K

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/24/14 12:36 AM

I'm sorry... I looked at your picture first and then glanced over your written question. At first I thought I read, I have a Drum question... I chuckle and though, "how clever" I love puns. Sorry for the thread jack....

Re: Question about my rear drum brakes - 07/24/14 03:25 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem on my dart. Turns out the kit I had was designed for both sizes of shoes. It came with longer nails and short ones. I found out almost the hard way as the drum nearly ate through the spring retainer!!

We did these rear drums a year ago, car has been sitting. I found the shorter hold down pins in the bag on my shelf. Everything is much better now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums