Moparts

U Bolts

Posted By: dobie

U Bolts - 07/22/14 02:49 AM

I'm replacing my rear shocks and springs here in a few days and would like to have everything ready to go. I've got the MP super stock springs and a set of KYB shocks. No relocation necessary. What size u bolts do i need to pick up, and are these readily available from autozone/advanced auto?

Thanks!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 03:00 AM

Steve you can get the good ones delivered to your door from Mancini racing.They carry the OEM type with the knurling and the correct nuts.
Gus

Attached picture 8215774-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 03:31 AM

Darn. Do you know if summit sells them too? I'm making a trip up there tomorrow after work.

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 04:09 AM

I've only used the Mancini racing U-bolts but Summit might have the good ones too.
Gus

Attached picture 8215830-frontveiwsavoy.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 04:20 AM

These ones look good
http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/cee-7030/overview/

Gus
Posted By: jbc426

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 07:50 AM

KYB's are harsh riding and don't have much rebound control. They will make your springs feel a lot stiffer while driving. Use anti sieze on the u-bolt threads and torque them in equal steps. Recheck them after a few miles several times. They always seem to loosen up a little.

Be sure to lube the bushings of the new springs too. I always use synthetic disc brake caliper grease on the bushings, as it won't attack plastic or rubber and has all kinds of good slippery stuff mixed in it.

Here's a pic of my old ones. I ordered mine from a place that makes them for almost anything. They came with the longer bolts, the hardened washers and they fit perfectly. I can look up the name on my receipt, if you're not in a hurry.

Sorry for the delay. Here's the link
http://www.stengelbros.net/U-Bolts_c_23.html

Attached picture 8215984-IMG_3660.JPG

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 11:39 AM

Thanks Gus! Im in class all day today in Orrville, and then I'll be flying up to Summit afterwards to pick everything up.

If all goes well, I'll be at our show Saturday with my car.

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 11:40 AM

Quote:

KYB's are harsh riding and don't have much rebound control. They will make your springs feel a lot stiffer while driving. Use anti sieze on the u-bolt threads and torque them in equal steps. Recheck them after a few miles several times. They always seem to loosen up a little.

Be sure to lube the bushings of the new springs too. I always use synthetic disc brake caliper grease on the bushings, as it won't attack plastic or rubber and has all kinds of good slippery stuff mixed in it.

Here's a pic of my old ones. I ordered mine from a place that makes them for almost anything. They came with the longer bolts, the hardened washers and they fit perfectly. I can look up the name on my receipt, if you're not in a hurry.

Thanks for the tips. I'll pick up some grease while Im shopping and I'll be sure to check things out.

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 12:09 PM

ANything else you guys can think of that I need but missed?

Ive got one set of these ordered too..

Am I missing something else?

Thanks! bushings
Posted By: therocks

Re: U Bolts - 07/22/14 02:28 PM

Make sure you have some good penetrating spray.If the springs etc are old they will be rusty.Rocky
Posted By: jbc426

Re: U Bolts - 07/23/14 01:18 AM

Quote:

ANything else you guys can think of that I need but missed?

Ive got one set of these ordered too..

Am I missing something else?

Thanks!
bushings

If you really want to go all out, replace the three bolts that hold the spring on. The rusted old surface of the bolts with some of the rubber permanently stuck to it doesn't allow them to move very freely. Don't over tighten the shackles either.

Re: U Bolts - 07/23/14 02:29 AM

Thanks. Got everything picked up. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow then.

Re: U Bolts - 07/23/14 05:24 AM

Give me a call if you need anything tomorrow I'm off all day
Gus

Attached picture 8216945-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/23/14 11:54 AM

Thanks Gus!!!

Re: U Bolts - 07/24/14 12:14 PM

Well, all went well I think. haha. No major issues encountered. It took about 3-3.5 hrs, but Ive never done this before. I havent driven it yet either. Probably wont be able to until Friday or Saturday. It does sit lower it seems, just by looking at before pictures.

Left side on.

Attached picture 8218185-1.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/24/14 12:15 PM

Another.

Attached picture 8218186-2.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/24/14 12:16 PM

Both sides on.

Attached picture 8218187-3.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/24/14 12:17 PM

Old air shocks. Still held air. I went with KYB 5512's I think. I had bought them about 5 yrs ago when I did the front, but just never got around to installing them. The only "weird" part to all of this are the shocks. The top of them almost, and I mean almost, hits the bottom of the shock mount. They hit until I tightened everything down, then they pulled away ever so slightly. Hopefully this is normal and ok. I double and triple checked that I had the right shock according to rock auto and summit racing.

Attached picture 8218188-4.jpg

Re: U Bolts - 07/24/14 12:18 PM

And the old springs. Both sides had 5 leafs. No clue how old they are. I replaced the shackles too while I was at it.

Attached picture 8218189-5.jpg
Posted By: Ponch

Re: U Bolts - 08/20/14 07:48 PM

did you end up using the Summit U bolts? I take it they worked fine?

Gonna be doing a spring swap soon and can't seem to find a good source for the bolts.

Re: U Bolts - 08/20/14 10:57 PM

Yeah, I used the u-bolts from Summit that are linked previously. No issues at all. Everything went pretty smooth.

Good luck!

Posted By: Ponch

Re: U Bolts - 08/20/14 11:15 PM

awesome. I need 4, right?

Re: U Bolts - 08/20/14 11:51 PM

Yes sir. 2 packs, for a total of 4 bolts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums