Moparts

Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer?

Posted By: hp383

Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/14/14 08:40 PM

I am getting ready to do some rebuilds on four carburetors. and though not corroded, the shiny finish on all have dulled.

Is there a way to return that luster? Does it require a polishing wheel, or is there a simple way to do it by hand?

What is the finish, is it a zinc, nickle, or ??? It doesn't look to be any sort of chrome.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/14/14 09:28 PM

Only Ebrocks had that SHINEY finish .

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/14/14 10:32 PM

Its been so long since I bought the Carter AFB Competition Series that I must have forgotten. I thought I remembered it being shiny when I took it out of the box.

OK then, how about making the Eddys shine again than.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/14/14 10:52 PM

Edelbrock carbs were also sold as Carters and had the same shiny finish.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 01:32 AM

WD40 and a set of these brushes and elbow grease. All these carbs are aluminum but some Eddy's had a "Ball Burnished" finish that when new shined like chrome. Simply polished aluminum. These brushes can be found at home depot paint dept. They can reach the tight spots but for 4 carbs get at least 6 sets of brushes. They wear out quick. $4 a set I believe. A Hoppes pistol cleaning rod w/ .45 cal, .38 cal and .223 brushes also come in handy for the passages, and Hoppes powder solvent will break out any gum/bs and smell good too!

Attached picture 8208476-image.jpg

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 02:47 AM

I love the smell of the Hoppes. I sometimes dab some on a paper towel and use it as air freshener.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 02:55 AM

!

Attached picture 8208562-contentimage-Flitz-50g.jpg
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 03:09 AM

On our 59 Vette restomod I run a crate ZZ4 engine with a Eddy chrome appearing intake and carb. When they get somewhat stained or dull from various substances,,,antifreeze, gasoline, oil, etc.

Wipe them down with a blue paper shop towel and a bit of WD 40. Back to new in no time. The transformation is amazing and stays that way until stained again. And much easier than trying with polishes.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 03:19 AM

Quote:

WD40 and a set of these brushes and elbow grease. All these carbs are aluminum but some Eddy's had a "Ball Burnished" finish that when new shined like chrome. Simply polished aluminum. These brushes can be found at home depot paint dept. They can reach the tight spots but for 4 carbs get at least 6 sets of brushes. They wear out quick. $4 a set I believe. A Hoppes pistol cleaning rod w/ .45 cal, .38 cal and .223 brushes also come in handy for the passages, and Hoppes powder solvent will break out any gum/bs and smell good too!

Once had my newly ceramic coated TTI headers almost destroyed by a substantial rear main seal leak and had almost 200 miles that I had to drive before able to resolve leak.

Coated with oil on collectors that baked on like the worst oven you had ever seen. Used these steel and brass brushes using Flitz and Mothers aluminum polishes.

Headers came out perfect with no apparent damage,,,,did take a few hours of scrubbing however. I have before and after photos if anyone cares to see.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 03:22 AM

I've told the wife to dab some behind her ears! She got the best night of her life! Ambrosia!
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 05:33 PM

Yes, there were Competition series Carters with a shiny finish.,...your not going crazy....
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 07:46 PM

Quote:

on the use of bore brushes. Worked a treat on my badly stored AVS

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 07:52 PM

I'm the opposite I guess , I am not fond of the shine ...

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 08:37 PM

I was on the fence initially...

But I'll tell ya'...

Got one on top of a 440...

It's been there 15+ years...

With very minimal effort, it still looks new...

I'm a believer...

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 09:12 PM

Quote:

I was on the fence initially...

But I'll tell ya'...

Got one on top of a 440...

It's been there 15+ years...

With very minimal effort, it still looks new...

I'm a believer...

I prefer the factory look and they don't look factory to me.

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 09:24 PM

Without a doubt...

OEM is a whole different ball game...

Re: Bring back the shine on a Carter AFB or Eddy Performer? - 07/15/14 10:02 PM

Quote:

I prefer the factory look and they don't look factory to me.

Mine are destined to be on top of an M1 tunnel ram, and a Torker II intake, so they wont need to look factory.
© 2024 Moparts Forums