Moparts

Engine rebuild. Is this normal?

Posted By: 68340GTS

Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 06:18 PM

We are rebuilding my nephews 340 and I’m not sure about the crankshaft drag. The book says it should turn by hand with the neoprene rear main seal. After all the caps were torqued to specs the crank will turn by hand but only after it is started by rotating it with a ratchet on the damper bolt. If it sets for a little while it can not spin it until you start it with the ratchet again. It doesn’t feel like it anything is binding but it is snug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks………..
Posted By: RobR

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 06:20 PM

Sounds like it's a bit too tight...line hone time
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 06:21 PM

If it spins easily with a ratchet then you should be fine. Depending what you used for assembly lube and how much you used will affect the drag.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 07:21 PM

how is it without the seal?
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 07:24 PM

Will it turn by hand if you grab the coutner weights?

Pull a main cap and look for wear on the bearings.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 07:40 PM

did you use plastigage to check clearances? You can pick it up at any parts store, cheap. Check end play at the snout too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 07:43 PM

id say its tight. ive only done a few engines but they all turned nicely with just the crank in (lubed of course).

if you didnt check the clearances, you better
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 08:02 PM

Check end play and bearing clearances. Did you set the thrust bearing correctly?

Sheldon
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 09:23 PM

With no pistons or rods in there it should turn very easily even with the rubber seal in the rear main. Is it consistent through the rotation or is it tight only in certain spots? I'd start by checking with plasti gauge. Run out and end play should also be checked.
Posted By: dodgeram440

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 09:29 PM

If the end play isn't correct, how do you fix it?
Posted By: farmington

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 11:01 PM

when my 383 was getting done at the machine shop, I stopped by to give them some cash and he showed me where they were on it. Crank, bearings, and rear seal were in. He gave it a spin by hand with the counterweights and it probably spun 1 1/2 turns after he let go! I expect this one to make some good power!
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/01/09 11:48 PM

Sounds like it is too tight. Check end play, bearing clearances, check crank for straightness, and check the alignment of the main bearing bores.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/02/09 12:36 AM

I'd R&R the crank/bearings clean the saddles & align the thrust bearing halves & oil the journals. If there's still a problem I'd have your machine shop mike everything otherwise there will be an early failure down the line.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/02/09 02:53 AM

Quote:

If the end play isn't correct, how do you fix it?

If its too loose you'll need another crank. If its too tight the thrust surface of the #3 bearing can be carefully rubbed on sand paper to remove some surface. This book covers the procedure:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-Engines/dp/0895861283
Posted By: pete

Re: Engine rebuild. Is this normal? - 01/02/09 03:17 AM

if it were me I would ask someone like Dram for answers or post this in the race section.
Pete
© 2024 Moparts Forums