Moparts

Dampner Nut

Posted By: wtucker

Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 05:18 PM

Which way does the nut turn on the crank that holds on teh dampner? Also what is the best way to get the nut off? And what is the best way to get the dampner off?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 05:33 PM

The bolt turns counter clockwise to remove, easy with 1/2 inch impact, and then a balancer puller to remove.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 05:34 PM

It is a bolt and it unscrews normally. You should use a puller for the dampner. You might be able to borrow one from a good parts store. O'Reilly's loans tools as well as some other chain auto parts stores.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 05:45 PM

if ya cant get an impact in use a wratchet or with a breaker bar and a big hammer hitting the handle.i think at 1 piont i put a 2x4 next to the starter ring on the torque convertor to keep the engine from turning.

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 05:53 PM

I have taken a breaker bar with a socket to remove the bolt by putting the end of the bar against the top of k member on the drivers side and bumping the starter at the relay.
Posted By: wtucker

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 06:03 PM

what size is the nut?

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 06:10 PM

I think the BOLT is 1 1/4".
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Dampner Nut - 01/01/09 07:43 PM

After you remove the bolt take the washer off it and re install it almost to the surface of the damper and use a 'elcheapo' steering wheel puller to slide the damper off. The reason to put the bolt back in is to use the head of the bolt for backing for the puller base. with out it for a backing the tip of the puller will fit into the crankshaft and do a number on the internal threads of the shaft. The damper will slide right over the bolt head without the washer on it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums