Moparts

Steering wheel install issues--recessed shaft

Posted By: frank

Steering wheel install issues--recessed shaft - 07/06/14 06:56 PM

I went to install the stock steering wheel on 69 GTX. The shaft that the wheel attaches too seems to have recessed into the steering column. There is not enough shaft exposed to install the wheel without the back of the wheel hitting the steering column. Why would this happen and what is the fix. When the steering wheel was removed for resto I installed the wheel from my Charger; there were no issues, there was plenty of shaft to secure the wheel and the back of the wheel did not hit the column.

Attached picture 8199527-wheel.jpg
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: Steering wheel install issues--recessed shaft - 07/06/14 07:04 PM

Frank, if it truly DID move in , you might check the shaft and see if the c clip around the shaft above the small ball bearing got dislodged.You may have to remove some turn signal switch stuff to get to it to even check.

Re: Steering wheel install issues--recessed shaft - 07/06/14 07:18 PM

It absolutely moved in; there is about a 1/4 inch of spline available to use. The C clip is in place

Re: Steering wheel install issues--recessed shaft - 07/06/14 07:20 PM

another pic

Attached picture 8199561-wheel2.jpg

Re: Steering wheel install issues--recessed shaft - 07/07/14 02:06 AM

By installing a nut a lightly tapping with a small hammer I was able to move the inner shaft to give adequate room to install the steering wheel. Something does not look right; the snap ring moved with the shaft. It seems to me that whatever supports the inner shaft should also move. Is there a way to do this? Should only the inner shaft move??
© 2024 Moparts Forums