Moparts

Broken Bolt picture added

Posted By: bandman

Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 12:47 AM

When I purchased my 73 dart I noticed the previous owner tried to take out a bolt from the alternator bracket. He heated the bolt head and mushroomed it. Of course when I tried to get it off the bolt broke. I have sprayed it down with penetrating oil for weeks and tried to get a crescent wrench on it but it hasn't worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bandman

PS I tried to post a picture but I can't because of the size of the picture.
Posted By: bandman

Re: Broken Bolt - 07/06/14 12:48 AM

Picture, not much to grab on to.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a574/bandman1971/IMAG0100_11_zps5ab4dd60.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Broken Bolt - 07/06/14 12:54 AM

Pipe wrench. Much better bite.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 02:43 AM

Remove the bracket if you can.Then you will have a good piece to grab with a small pipe wrench or vice grips.Try heating the bolt with a propane torch then hit it with ice water.It shocks the threads.Id say it siezed in the bracket.On assembley use antisieze.Rocky
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 02:52 AM

Not much to grab on too. The only thing worse is if it breaks off again next to the block. I would remove the timing chain cover, heat the bolt at the part where it enters the block, squirt cold water on it and then take it out with a vise grip. Use anti-seize on all those bolts that go though the timing cover.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 02:55 AM

Grab a file & file the rounded nub to a nice square so you can get a good TIGHT grip on it with some vice grips
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 02:57 AM

Put a nut over it, fill the center with weld, try to turn it out
Posted By: roe

Re: Broken Bolt - 07/06/14 03:07 AM

Quote:

Pipe wrench. Much better bite.

pipe wrench has saved my bacon before with something like that.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 03:07 AM

Pull the timing cover, inspect it as it is probably going to be the NEXT problem, Replace the timing chain set, Remove the bolt, reassemble and move on. There is no easy fix for what you're dealing with.

My
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 03:35 AM

Yup, I'd pull the timing cover. Gives you much more meat to work with. Work it slow, back and forth.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 08:20 AM

I'd pull the cover too, then you can get the penetrating oil around the threads better. The bolt may be really rusted in the block making it tough to remove. I believe the bolt hole goes into the engines water jacket, so there is coolant behind the bolt.
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 01:07 PM

Strike the end of it hard many times with a hammer. You would be surprised what a good beating with a hammer will do. I would still take the timing cover off to do the repair.

Dan
Posted By: bwhackd34

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 01:54 PM

This should work....spray liberally with some penetrating oil...heat it redhot if you can and then whack it with a hammer....use vise grips to turn out while still hot...
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 02:19 PM

Quote:

first choice.

If you can't, then you'll have to pull the timing cover and work it back and forth carefully.
This is where patience takes the lead, don't rush it or you'll be having to drill what's left out of the block

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 03:11 PM

That and Ive got some out by first trying to tighten them just a bit.For soem reason it seems if you try and tighten it just a touch most will back out after some heat and penetrant.+As for a water jacket use a bit of liquid teflon on the threads and anti sieze where it goes thru the cover.Too many gald themselves to the cover.Rocky
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 04:51 PM

Just did this yesterday to an Engine that someone brought me to build. Mine had more stud sticking out but no matter what I used it wouldn't budge. I could see the coolant corrsion around the hole in the timing cover. I stripped the rest of the front of the motor apart down to a bare cover. I used a map gas tourch to heat the cover around the bolt area until I could start to carfully pry the cover off the bolt using PB blaster. I did have to apply heat again as the cover only went so far, then I tried the pipe wrench again and was able to screw the bolt out---but it was still stuck in the cover when I finally got the cover off. When I got it all off a swift hit of the hammer drove the bolt out of the cover. Took me about 40 minutes total to do all this---but the engine was on a stand.

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/06/14 09:33 PM

Try WD40 penetrating fluid.Ive been using it and its a lot better than PB.We used to get some stuff from Zep that was the best at the shop.IIRC Ive seen it on Ebay.Rocky
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 12:21 AM

You know we have enough opinions here that we need a poll! You must tell us the outcome of this one for sure!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 12:38 AM

Quote:

Try WD40 penetrating fluid.Ive been using it and its a lot better than PB.

Hey Rock I always heard that kroil/pb is the cats ass, way better than wd40. ain't so??
Posted By: TJP

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 01:58 AM

The PROBLEM is usually the Bolt has gotten Corroded to the timing cover due to electrolysis between the aluminum cover and the steel bolt, not the Threads in the block. Common issue,

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 02:29 AM

RR WD has a new penetrating spray.I tried it about 6 or 7 montha ago.Seems to work way better than PB.Im on my 3rd can.My sons use it like its a water hose.If you can get Zep 45 with teflon its one of the best we used in the shop in 30 years.Rocky
Posted By: pishta

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 03:09 AM

PB IS WD-40 with some acid added. Thats what an old dude told me. Believe it or not.

Kerosene and ATF. 50/50 mix. Almost free and works great. Dont know why heat helps free a bolt when heat expands metal? I know it works but the physics behind it are flawed. Now dry ice or freeze-off makes more sense but can make the bolt brittle and break it again.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 03:48 AM

Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/07/14 04:36 AM

Quote:

PB IS WD-40 with some acid added. Thats what an old dude told me. Believe it or not.

Not according to the MSDS for it.

http://www.blastercorp.com/images/PB-Pen...-2014-05-26.pdf
Posted By: markz528

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/08/14 04:58 AM

Quote:

Yup. The nut gives you something to turn with and the heat loosens it up. This method almost never fails me.

For real good measure add beeswax once nice and hot............
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Broken Bolt picture added - 07/08/14 09:48 AM

When's the drilling start?
© 2024 Moparts Forums