Moparts

Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab?

Posted By: ChallengerGary

Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/05/14 12:43 PM

Well, yesterday, my 2006 Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD Mega Cab decided to stop moving. Now when I put it in gear, all I get is a high pitched whining noise. Best guess what the problem is? How painful is this going to be to my wallet?
Posted By: feets

Re: Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/05/14 04:37 PM

You killed it!

It sounds like you joined the Rhinodart club.

It's time for a rebuild. Kirk (in the Cowtown club) had a similar thing happen to his truck last fall. I can't recall what the exact failure was but it was something simple that let go. Once it happened the transmission ate itself.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/05/14 05:17 PM

Quote:

Well, yesterday, my 2006 Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD Mega Cab decided to stop moving. Now when I put it in gear, all I get is a high pitched whining noise. Best guess what the problem is? How painful is this going to be to my wallet?

Ahhhh....the Dodge Ram "tranny death whine", I've heard that more than once in the fleet of Dud Rams I've owned....Torque converter grenades itself then floods the tranny with shrapnel....meaning complete rebuild, the last one cost me $2200 (4wd)

No more Dud Rams for me, I've had it with their tranny issues, good luck

mike

Re: Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/05/14 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ahhhh....the Dodge Ram "tranny death whine", I've heard that more than once in the fleet of Dud Rams I've owned....Torque converter grenades itself then floods the tranny with shrapnel....meaning complete rebuild, the last one cost me $2200 (4wd)

kind of what i figured. not really in the budget right now but guess i don't have a choice
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/05/14 09:27 PM

Hold on before you jump to any conclusions calling the trans junk. At least you should drop the pan and see if the main sump filter has came loose from the pump causing it to suck air. Pretty common.

Re: Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/05/14 09:45 PM

Quote:

Hold on before you jump to any conclusions calling the trans junk. At least you should drop the pan and see if the main sump filter has came loose from the pump causing it to suck air. Pretty common.

ok - will do
Posted By: teflon

Re: Cost to repair Tranny on '06 Mega Cab? - 07/06/14 06:46 PM

That is a 545RFE, they have been a great trans. Check that sump filter just like Yellowduster said. If that's ok it probably wasted the converter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums