Moparts

six pack rods

Posted By: 71blackdemon

six pack rods - 07/02/14 03:04 AM

is the rods out of a 70 440 sixpack motor the same as the rods out of a standard 440 thanks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: six pack rods - 07/02/14 03:58 AM

They're a bit heavier/beefier than std rods & I always thought significantly but a guy just recently posted that they ain't too bad, just slightly heavier. HF has a gram scale on sale for less than ten bucks if you're figuring your bobweights and you can see what the difference is & you can trim the top/bottom pads reasonably, just sayin
Posted By: topside

Re: six pack rods - 07/02/14 07:07 AM

I prefer the standard "LY" rod, did 2 performance builds with them. 6-pack rods are heavier and harder on the fasteners. I don't like the heavy TRW pistons, either. Lighter recip weight is the direction to take.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: six pack rods - 07/02/14 08:24 AM

Quote:

I prefer the standard "LY" rod, did 2 performance builds with them. 6-pack rods are heavier and harder on the fasteners. I don't like the heavy TRW pistons, either. Lighter recip weight is the direction to take.

I've built a bunch of stock stroke bracket motors with the heavy firged TRW race pistons and both LY and 6 pak rods, the six pak rod motors run out of steam about 500 RPM before the same motor combination with a set of LY rods do Sell the sixpak rods and buy a set of the better, lighter, stronger H beam forged steel race rods
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: six pack rods - 07/02/14 04:59 PM

Quote:

is the rods out of a 70 440 sixpack motor the same as the rods out of a standard 440 thanks.

Yes; all '70 - '75 440 HP's use the misnamed "six pack" rods. Also, modern lightweight rods are obviously better but the "six pack" rods (with good bolts) are stronger than LY's and the slight difference in weight can be more than offsett by using a modern lightweight piston (which is where the REAL weight is). ...still, no reason to use them if you don't need to.

More info here; http://www.440source.com/stockrods.htm

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums