Moparts

Steering column sqeaking

Posted By: 70RR383

Steering column sqeaking - 06/19/14 02:35 AM

My steering wheel every once in a while does not turn freely.It kind of get hung up and grinds??Is the an easy or temporary fix.Its beginning of summer.I really don't feel like tearing into a steering column.Thanks

Re: Steering column sqeaking - 06/19/14 01:35 PM

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Steering column sqeaking - 06/19/14 03:11 PM

Quote:

My steering wheel every once in a while does not turn freely.It kind of get hung up and grinds??Is the an easy or temporary fix.Its beginning of summer.I really don't feel like tearing into a steering column.Thanks

Not that I know of, it sounds like the upper bearing is shot? This is the bearing you probably need.
Posted By: GTX4spd

Re: Steering column sqeaking - 06/19/14 05:54 PM

Short term, you might try squeezing some powdered graphite inside, I've done that to cure squeaks. But grinding & binding might be more serious.

Re: Steering column sqeaking - 06/20/14 03:27 AM

thanks for the replies.I have to open it uo this weekend.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Steering column sqeaking - 06/20/14 08:47 AM

Before dismantling your column, try spraying wd 40(using red soda straw nozzle) up the inside of the column from the engine side of the firewall.. The noise could be coming from here and broadcasting up your column causing you to believe that is coming from steering wheel or bearing just below it.

Worth a couple of minutes to find out.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Steering column sqeaking - 06/20/14 04:19 PM

Quote:

Before dismantling your column, try spraying wd 40(using red soda straw nozzle) up the inside of the column from the engine side of the firewall.. The noise could be coming from here and broadcasting up your column causing you to believe that is coming from steering wheel or bearing just below it.

Worth a couple of minutes to find out.

This worked for me. I didn't have any hanging or grinding though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums