Moparts

Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP!

Posted By: MadMatt

Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:09 AM

I'm installing a Bouchillon A/C kit and I've got a belt alignment issue that I can't seem to wrap my tired old brain around. The compressor drive belts are touching the driver’s side of the water pump and the front belt is touching the back of the fan pulley. I could possibly shim the fan pulley forward slightly, but I only have about 3/4” clearance between the fan clutch and the radiator. But that would still leave the issue of the belts touching the pump.

The car is a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger and was a factory A/C car. The A/C was intact and functional (until the compressor blew a front seal) and all the belts cleared just fine. Can anyone give me some guidance on how I might be able to resolve this? I'm going to post few pictures in case that helps.

Attached picture 8179506-AC4.jpg

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:10 AM

Here's another...

Attached picture 8179508-AC1.jpg

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:11 AM

Another...

Attached picture 8179509-AC3.jpg

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:12 AM

Last one...

Attached picture 8179512-AC2.jpg
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:29 AM

Just looking at it, it looks like you need a multi groove water pump pulley. Contact Bouchillon, they should be able to help. HTH, Steve
Posted By: BDW

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:50 AM

Doesn't the Bouchillon kit only use 1 belt. That was the reason I went with something else, don't like seeing the double pulleys with 1 slot open.

http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/572
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:28 AM

Quote:

Doesn't the Bouchillon kit only use 1 belt. That was the reason I went with something else, don't like seeing the double pulleys with 1 slot open.

Two belts here

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:30 AM

Quote:

Two belts here,no problem.

Attached picture 8179600-Picture062.jpg

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:30 AM

Thats BB isn't it?
I meant it only uses 1 belt on the double pulley AC and alternator part for SB.
My VA setup has 3 total

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:35 AM

Two belts on the A/C and alternator,one on the water pump/power steering.

Attached picture 8179608-Picture171.jpg

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:49 AM

Quote:

2 belts on the small block. The instructions say it is mandatory.

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:49 AM

2 belts total, you have 3?

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:51 AM

Quote:

Just looking at it, it looks like you need a multi groove water pump pulley. Contact Bouchillon, they should be able to help. HTH, Steve

It would have to be a very deep, 3-groove, pulley. And it would make the belts considerably longer. I'm just surprised that everything fit with the stock set up, but doesn't work now.

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 05:55 AM

The link I posted shows 2 belts total, 1 on AC/alternator, 1 on power steering.
Am I missing something, your pic doesn't match the Bouchillon website pic for a SB setup.

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 06:11 AM

Quote:

The link I posted shows 2 belts total, 1 on AC/alternator, 1 on power steering.
Am I missing something, your pic doesn't match the Bouchillon website pic for a SB setup.

Hmmm... I did see the photo before I ordered and thought I would end up with one belt. I looked that instructions again and what it says is "Alternator must have double groove pulley". But later it says "Belt routing is as follows: Drive belt for crank shaft and alternator installs on 2nd groove out and then around inner groove on AC compressor. The inner groove on crank shaft pulley and alternator are not used. The A/C compressor does not use the outer groove."

Now I'm really confused. Guess I'll try it that way, and see what happens.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 08:43 AM

Comparing the bouchillon pic to yours it looks like the bracket from the cylinder head to compressor is on the wrong side of the ear on the compressor.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2 belts on the small block. The instructions say it is mandatory.

I'd call JR at Bouchillon, he knows his stuff and helped me when I put there AC on both my cars.

My 340 only has one belt and I have been using it a lot for 10 years now. Still the same belt now that I think about it.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 01:16 PM

Quote:

I'd call JR at Bouchillon......

STOP right there.
That should have been the first reply.

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

STOP right there.

It was in the first reply
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 01:46 PM

compressor looks to be too far forward, look at the mounting ears and make sure they are correct side of all the brackets.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 01:47 PM

Are you by any chance using a small diameter lower pulley? Could that be the problem?
Posted By: Telvis

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 02:23 PM

I have the Bouchillon AC on my 340. It only uses one belt for the AC. I believe it even says so in the instructions. Only one belt will line up with the pulleys correctly. I have never had any problems at all. The Sanden compressor is much easier to spin and less strain on the motor than the old iron monster that was originally on the car. One belt does the job fine. Matter of fact, the same compress or is run on one belt in many car applications without issue.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/18/14 04:24 PM

There seems to be a spacer/bushing behind the alternator and rear plate. That spacer seems exactly the amount everything needs to go backwards, including front plate.

Any chance you have some of those plates mounted wrong (front to rear)?

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/19/14 05:23 AM

It's amazing what carefully following the directions will do for you... Oh well, the hazards of doing things late at night when your half asleep.

Attached picture 8180741-WP_20140618_001.jpg
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/19/14 01:36 PM

call me dumb or anal or whatever but I would not be ok with that setup, front groove not used on the compressor, rear groove not used on the alt. rear groove on the crank not used. sorry looks sloppy, wrong, bad, poorly conceived & engineered.

It may be "correct" by the instructions but wouldn't pass my standards. How much did that set-up cost from Buchellon? just my

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/19/14 01:55 PM

Quote:

call me dumb or anal or whatever but I would not be ok with that setup, front groove not used on the compressor, rear groove not used on the alt. rear groove on the crank not used. sorry looks sloppy, wrong, bad, poorly conceived & engineered.

It may be "correct" by the instructions but wouldn't pass my standards. How much did that set-up cost from Buchellon? just my

Like I said above, it don't need 2 belts, one does just fine now for 10 years, same belt and I have driven my car a lot in the desert.(Vegas, Reno during August and Florida)

I can't remember what my setup cost for a SB. My BB Bouchillon setup has 2 belts.

It's really hard to find matched belts now a days anyway, so what's the point?

I surely wouldn't call you dumb or anal, just observant.

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/19/14 02:53 PM

I'm sure it's ok, I just don't like the "visual"
Looks incomplete, that's why I went with VA.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/20/14 12:51 AM

Quote:

I'm sure it's ok, I just don't like the "visual"
Looks incomplete, that's why I went with VA.

I would try to move the new compressor to align it to the OEM position and use both grooves.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/20/14 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

STOP right there.

It was in the first reply

Thanks for noticing.
To The OP Congrats on figuring out the issue.
BTW, there are plenty of clutch configurations for Sanden compressors, including single belt drives. There is no functional issues with the unused groove, they don't require as much power to run as the old Chrysler v twin monstrosity- and getting a matched set of belts is a PITA.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Bouchillon AC install nightmare. HELP! - 06/20/14 01:45 AM

doesn't goodyear sell matched sets? they used to, and the ones i used, were perfect.
© 2024 Moparts Forums