Moparts

E body power antenna

Posted By: Sxrxrnr

E body power antenna - 06/17/14 08:04 PM

Any ideas on a power antenna fo 70 E body. I have a lift and when parking under it I must remove antenna mast so as not to crunch it.

I have ordered up 2 different ones from Johnny Law and Classic. Neither will work as stock Mopar hole in fender is much larger than normal and these so called Universal antennas and their fittings adapters basically just fall thru the holes. I would have thought that ordering from Classic's Mopar catalog they would have correct antenna,,,but not.

Perhaps someone has made their own adapters to make a universal antenna work.

A second option would be a non-power collapsible antenna that will collapse to lower than the height of the roof of the car plus about 3 inches or so.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: E body power antenna - 06/17/14 08:57 PM

if needed i would install the short mast ones the younger kids put on the tuners..saw some on ebay in colors
Posted By: bri440

Re: E body power antenna - 06/18/14 03:23 AM

I installed a universal antenna several years ago. It came with several bezels, and I made this one work. Covers the hole perfectly. Look at Crutchfield, the EBay ones are really cheap.

Attached picture 8179454-Antenna.jpg
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: E body power antenna - 06/20/14 03:24 PM

I have a collapsible antenna on mine, and yes I think all aftermarket ones are going to require some adapting.

In my case, I used an original chrome bezel (the large outer part that is sculpted to the fender contour, and used tubular nylon spacers commonly available at Lowes (the drawers section in hardware) to fill the gap around the much thinner aftermarket mast. I had to do some trimming and if I recall, I had to use a stack of large washers to get the retainer underneath to work, but it has been on the car twenty years or so with no problems.

Same idea should work with automatic antennas.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: E body power antenna - 06/20/14 04:30 PM

Antenna's, you don't need no stinking antennas! The sound that 512 cubic inch big block Chrysler is music enough!

ps, I have a couple small parts for you that you're missing for your clutch linkage. I bought extras.

Re: E body power antenna - 06/20/14 11:37 PM

Quote:

Antenna's, you don't need no stinking antennas! The sound that 512 cubic inch big block Chrysler is music enough!

ps, I have a couple small parts for you that you're missing for your clutch linkage. I bought extras.

Current Mopar radio only picks up 1 station anyhow and it is a talk show that only broadcasts the typical Calyfornua politico claptrap, yea you're right I don't need no stinking radio and as a benefit my blood pressure will be happy.

Big annual Muskrat show at D'Anza college this Saturday,,,if anything more cars than Mopar show a couple weeks ago,,,Ralph and I are going.

Re: E body power antenna - 06/25/14 09:10 AM

Did get the power antenna installed that I had purchased from Classic. Took a combination of parts from the classic setup and the whip antenna that I already had installed. Works well and looks great,,,,particularly when all down.

Easier to do if you pull right front wheel and inner fender shielding. Also must solder a wire internal in the Mopar radio that feeds into the power antenna to tell when to go up or down,,,,Mopar radios do not have this wire standard as there were no power antennas offered on E bodies for 1970.

Thanks to those who chimed in with their support and tips.
© 2024 Moparts Forums