Moparts

Can this be done?

Posted By: mopowers

Can this be done? - 06/11/14 06:30 PM

Can the oil pan be dropped in an A-body w/ a 340 without pulling the engine?
Posted By: Dons Dart

Re: Can this be done? - 06/11/14 06:38 PM

Yup just jack her up and drop center link done.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Can this be done? - 06/11/14 06:38 PM

all the way out? not without at least lifting the engine(watch the bell housing are at the firewall too)
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Can this be done? - 06/11/14 07:25 PM

Quote:

Yup just jack her up and drop center link done.

X2
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Can this be done? - 06/11/14 10:09 PM

yep did it in my 68 dart sedan that had a 73 k-frame with 318/727

I had flowtech headers, unbolted pass side header/removed pitman/idler/center link/ends as a unit sliding them out of driver side header.

then removed starter/oil filter/dist/unbolted motor mounts/jacked front of engine up 2-3 inches, then droped the pan loose, unbolted oil pump/tube droped it in oil pan, then slide it right out from under the engine/trans bell...went in same way with pump/tube in pan.. get pan up in there, bolt pump up then pan bolts up.

I guess I could have rotated the crank walking the pan out leaving the oil pump bolted up.. but the extra work made it a lot less headach in the long run by having plenty of work room with headers but I was by my self at the time.

good luck and have fun under there.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Can this be done? - 06/11/14 10:26 PM

Quote:

yep did it in my 68 dart sedan that had a 73 k-frame with 318/727

I had flowtech headers, unbolted pass side header/removed pitman/idler/center link/ends as a unit sliding them out of driver side header.

then removed starter/oil filter/dist/unbolted motor mounts/jacked front of engine up 2-3 inches, then droped the pan loose, unbolted oil pump/tube droped it in oil pan, then slide it right out from under the engine/trans bell...went in same way with pump/tube in pan.. get pan up in there, bolt pump up then pan bolts up.

I guess I could have rotated the crank walking the pan out leaving the oil pump bolted up.. but the extra work made it a lot less headach in the long run by having plenty of work room with headers but I was by my self at the time.

good luck and have fun under there.

X2 That's the way I did it on my 69 340 GTS & 70 340 Duster No problem
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Can this be done? - 06/12/14 02:59 AM

70 E bodies big blocks seldom have it so good. Drop drag link, remove pan bolts and drop pan, 45 minutes max including raising car. If prior installation was blessed with silicone sealer,,,all bets are however off.
© 2024 Moparts Forums