Moparts

Headliner Install Question

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 10:27 PM

So, I've been collecting parts for years. Now is the time to do the headliner. I have it laid out, but it seems really big. The listing pockets and material extend well beyond the length of the bows. Talking a good 6+ inches per side when the bow is laying in the center.

Are these things "universal fit" where they can be and I just need to trim *a lot* of material off?

Bows are original, and in the correct order.

For my 68 Dart...
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 10:37 PM

Quote:

So, I've been collecting parts for years. Now is the time to do the headliner. I have it laid out, but it seems really big. The listing pockets and material extend well beyond the length of the bows. Talking a good 6+ inches per side when the bow is laying in the center.

Are these things "universal fit" where they can be and I just need to trim *a lot* of material off?

Bows are original, and in the correct order.

For my 68 Dart...

it's been awhile since i've done one but keep in mind when you hit it with the hair dryer there will be shrinking and tightening. 6 inches per side seems excessive but i honestly don't remember how much 'slop' there is. if i remember right i didn't start out with having the sides with even amount of slop. i think i had most of the excess on one side and worked front to back, then tacked down on one side and worked it over to the other. i used those jumbo steel trap type paperclips to hold it until i was ready for the tack glue.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 10:39 PM

Yes they have extra as they are trim to fit. 6"+ overhang per side does seem like alot of extra material tho & maybe that # fits several apps. I'd check the # & continue on. I've only did one (65 dart) & my advice is to be patient & dont be afraid to walk away when a slight snag develops (pun intended & yes it will) & come back the next day especially if it is your first one and you'll likely need to walk away several times. The concept looks simple but they ain't easy. I've developed alot of of patience thru the years for things mechanical & rarely get rattled in the shop/garage but that headliner tested me

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 11:00 PM

Pic 1

Attached picture 8169738-IMG_7517.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 11:00 PM

Pic 2

Attached picture 8169740-IMG_7518.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 11:02 PM

I'll look for a part number... but I've likely had this thing for a decade as I have collected the restoration stuff over the years.

That is the front-most bow (towards the windshield).

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 11:03 PM

that looks about right.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 11:11 PM

Only markings on it are a faint CGPC "watermark" logo.

Okay... if this looks about right... wish me luck.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/08/14 11:22 PM

ahh, you'll be fine! they're not hard just frustrating as Rapid said. take your time, no cutting until you're 100% and that spray can tack glue can be messy so be careful. it doesn't set up right away so don't panic. when you're done and you tighten it up with the dryer you'll be amazed at how great it looks! my first one (69 RR) took me about 6 hours. the second, (72 charger) about 3.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:51 AM

I also didn't mention the car has a cage... got as far as I wanted to tonight. So far so good.

Attached picture 8170075-IMG_7531.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:51 AM

Attached picture 8170077-IMG_7533.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:52 AM

Attached picture 8170081-IMG_7534.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:53 AM

Attached picture 8170082-IMG_7536.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:54 AM

Attached picture 8170084-IMG_7538.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:55 AM

Attached picture 8170085-IMG_7537.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:55 AM

Attached picture 8170086-IMG_7540.JPG

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:56 AM

New steering wheel... I think it compliments the GT badge on the door panel nicely.

Attached picture 8170088-IMG_7527.JPG
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 03:02 PM

I just finished my 2nd install. The first was a nightmare. It was the middle of a very cold winter and the headliner had been in a box for 3 years. Getting all the folds out was a major pain. My second was just finished yesterday. It went much easier. Use a spray mister with water and a hair dryer to get out the wrinkles. Start from the middle out and work front to back. Good luck.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/09/14 06:37 PM

Thanks for the tip. So lightly mist the headliner with water and then use the hair dryer? Sort of a pseudo steam press?

Mine has been in the box for 10 years... I should be in good shape...

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 03:46 AM

This is going (slightly) better than expected. I am at the point of stretching, clamping, etc.

For the sail panels, does the liner get glued to the inner panel board? Maybe not...

For the sail panels, is it better to glue the side by the quarter windows and then pull into the teeth or the opposite?

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 04:00 AM

Not sure how your is made. My cuda had card board panels that went on afterwards. The Challenger I worked on first did not have those so it was tougher. I stretched it at far as I could and then glued and stuck them in the teeth.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 04:42 AM

Maybe a little adhesive to hold it in place and some small clamps. Then check it a day later and stretch it again?

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 01:03 PM

Quote:

Not sure how your is made. My cuda had card board panels that went on afterwards. The Challenger I worked on first did not have those so it was tougher. I stretched it at far as I could and then glued and stuck them in the teeth.

Interesting you mention this... the headliner kit came with covered hard boards. I know for certain that the Dart did not have these when I took the old headliner out. I am pretty sure it was factory original. I'm not sure how or if they would be attached. Would the original sail panel boards be removed (the ones under the headliner) and these used on top in some way?

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 02:14 PM

Some cars have them under the headliner. I have never done a dart so I'm not sure about yours.
Posted By: Dons Dart

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 02:43 PM

I have done 3 69 darts in the past your on the right track so far,when starting the gluing on the sides ,like said front to rear,start with a good pull on the liner glue booth sides,when to get to the lower end neer the quarter glass glue it.NOW you will see the tack that is the at the very bottom of the rear glass,you see it pull just enough to stretch it fasten it,than glue the lower head liner to the package tray pull down you should have a bout 2 inches to play with.I have never seen as big a liner that you got.
Posted By: Dons Dart

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 02:45 PM

Quote:

ps i have never seen my 69 darts with separate sail panels.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/11/14 03:52 PM

The sheer size and the included sail panels tell me you got the wrong headliner for a Dart. B'bodies have those sail panels and they just are held in with one or two clips. I hope you can make it work for your application.

Attached picture 8172756-Photo423.jpg

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/12/14 01:41 AM

There are boards *under* the headliner. A backer board if nothing else.

It does seem big, but the bows and seams are fine. I had it stretched last night and it looks like it is going to work okay.

I unclamped it all last night. I am going to go around and cut a little more off the listing so I can get more "stretch" on the sides.

What about the headliner "clips" along the sides? I have seen references to them, and I think they are used on the sides between the bows. Just not sure they are used on Dart/A-bodies. I don't remember any on the Dart when I took the old one out.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/12/14 03:51 AM

Yes they have clips. I found some at the local yard and snagged them for future use.
Posted By: dan9

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/12/14 04:41 PM

I can't see where using the clips could hurt anything. I glued along the pinchweld and used the clips at the listings.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/12/14 09:16 PM

sorry, haven't gotten home from work with any spare time to hop on but YIKES!! that thing is huge! i agree, i think you got a b-body one. can't see why you can't get it to work though

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/12/14 10:31 PM

Not sure what the deal is on the clips. I bagged everything when I took the car apart. No clips to be found.

As big as it is there is what seems to be the appropriate amount towards the front. The sides and back are excessive though. Should be able to make it work though.

Re: Headliner Install Question - 06/15/14 08:20 PM

any update on this project??
© 2024 Moparts Forums