Moparts

Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440?

Posted By: diesel

Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 08:35 AM

Hello. I have a 1970 coronet convertible with a 440. She currently has an Edelbrock Performer 440 intake manifold installed. The problem with this manifold is that its height is too tall for me to use my air grabber air cleaner. Although I do not currently have the duct work or scoops installed yet, I would like to be able use the air cleaner for now. Thank you for your help in advance.
Posted By: Abodysforever

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 11:12 AM

I believe a Mopar M1 has close to a stock height.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 02:41 PM

I assume you mean you have the Edelbrock Performer RPM? The Performer is a stock height, stock replacement dual plane. The Performer RPM is a tall "high-rise" dual plane w/ a cut down divider that makes way more power.

There are a few different M1 manifolds too. The M1 dual plane is just an aluminum version of the factory magnum manifold. The M1 single plane is about as tall as the RPM and available w/ either the 4150 or 4500 flange.

I have no experience w/ how tall of a manifold you can use w/ the air grabber set up, but I bet you can't get away w/ much taller than stock.
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 02:53 PM

So I used an Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) on my 440 and I think it is a tad taller than the factory manifold but it clears fine in my Cuda even with a rubber carb spacer.

Sure you don't have an RPM? As a9sec70cuda stated, the RPM is noticeably taller and it is a single plane.

Attached picture 8165236-440.jpg

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 04:00 PM

Quote:

the RPM is noticeably taller and it is a single plane.

The Performer RPM is not a single plane.
As far as good street manifolds go, the Edelbrock Performer RPM and the Holley Street Dominator are about the best there is for a fairly mild engine. The Holley SD is much shorter than the RPM, so I doubt it would work w/ the air grabber setup either.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 04:33 PM

Thank you for your responses so far. It just says performer 440 on the intake. I am attempting to post a picture of it for you to look at. I want to keep at least the same performance or improve while still being able to use my air cleaner setup. This silly little air cleaner I have on it now is ridiculous.

Attached picture 8165311-IMG_20140604_102635_574.jpg
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 04:36 PM

DOOH, sorry I am pain meds this morning. I meant that the RPM IS a single plane and the Performer is a split plane.

I went with the Performer because I was looking for a better flow, cooler manifold temp and I wanted me power lower in the RPM range. Plus, it looks pretty close to factory.

If you are looking to get your power with lower RPMs then the Performer is a great manifold.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your responses so far. It just says performer 440 on the intake. I am attempting to post a picture of it for you to look at. I want to keep at least the same performance or improve while still being able to use my air cleaner setup. This silly little air cleaner I have on it now is ridiculous.

Wow, I'm surprised that intake is too tall to work w/ the air grabber setup. The only manifolds that are shorter than what you currently have will be the Mopar Performance M1 dual plane (which is aluminum) or a factory stock cast iron manifold.

The m1 dual plane looks like this...
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/383400duelpl.html
Only that one is for a 383/400 low deck. Not sure if they even make the RB version of this manifold anymore?

I've seen the RB versions pop up on ebay from time to time.
PM sent about factory manifolds.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 04:50 PM

Quote:

DOOH, sorry I am pain meds this morning. I meant that the RPM IS a single plane and the Performer is a split plane.

I went with the Performer because I was looking for a better flow, cooler manifold temp and I wanted me power lower in the RPM range. Plus, it looks pretty close to factory.

If you are looking to get your power with lower RPMs then the Performer is a great manifold.

LOL, the Performer AND the Performer RPM are BOTH dual plane manifolds.
The Performer saves you some weight over the factory iron piece, but very little as far as performance increase.

The Performer RPM is a VERY good manifold, just too tall for a lot of applications. Makes a lot of lowend grunt along w/ good upper rpm power.

The Holley SD has almost all the same characteristics of the Performer RPM (good lowend torque and drivability as well as good upper rpm power) even though it is a single plane and is a shorter manifold.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

the Performer AND the Performer RPM are BOTH dual plane manifolds.
The Performer saves you some weight over the factory iron piece, but very little as far as performance increase.

The Performer RPM is a VERY good manifold, just too tall for a lot of applications. Makes a lot of lowend grunt along w/ good upper rpm power.

The Holley SD has almost all the same characteristics of the Performer RPM (good lowend torque and drivability as well as good upper rpm power) even though it is a single plane and is a shorter manifold.

I totally agree. The SD is very short & works fairly well on the low end for being a single plane. No longer available new for an RB iirc but they are around. I hear there are better absolute choices but it works well for what it is & if you need the clearance...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 06:10 PM

Quote:

This manifold may be maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 " taller than the stock cast iron 440 intake.

The only way you are going to get ANY manifold that is taller than the stock cast iron manifold on there is to modify the air cleaner base .
Posted By: therocks

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 06:38 PM

Holley Street Dominator.They work and will fit.Plus you can find RB ones used at a decent price.I quit using Eddys about 20 years ago.Seems every one didnt quite fit just right.All the Holleys I used just dropped on.Rocky
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 06:52 PM

Street Dominator is available new, you could look it up.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-14/overview/make/dodge

BUT, I agree with the other posts. If your Performer is too tall, you are SOL. It's about as short as any non-stock intake.

That's why they make drop bases for air cleaners.
R.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 08:41 PM

I looked at the street dominator from the link (thank you) but it doesn't seem to say how tall it is. So, I guess I'm basically SOL like you said. I don't see how I would modify this base, nor do I think I should before it comes time to mount the new hood with the scoops and ductwork and see how it fits then. Unfortunately I won't be able to do that until possibly next year or the year after. A drop base would be great, do they make one for an air grabber? lol If anyone else has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thank you again to all that have responded thus far.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 09:00 PM

Quote:

Hello. I have a 1970 coronet convertible with a 440. She currently has an Edelbrock Performer 440 intake manifold installed. The problem with this manifold is that its height is too tall for me to use my air grabber air cleaner. Although I do not currently have the duct work or scoops installed yet, I would like to be able use the air cleaner for now. Thank you for your help in advance.

Have you checked you air grabber breather to make sure it is a 440 one? The 383 base is taller than the 440 one. If you have a 383 one mounted on your 440 that would give you clearance problems. Easiest way to tell is set it on a table and if it rocks it is a 383. If not it is a 440. Worth a try
Posted By: Slant6pak

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/04/14 09:17 PM

The old Edelbrock CH4B may fit as well.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 12:48 AM

Order of height from shortest to tallest:

Factory and M1 dual plane
CH4B
Performer
Holley SD
Indy 440 2D
Performer RPM.

If your engine is mild, I would recommend staying with factory to the Performer.
Posted By: gch

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 02:52 AM

I believe there was an old article that stated the Weiand Action Plus was about the right height for an air grabber setup.The ch4b may be a close fit and it is an all around better intake than the Weiand.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 07:58 AM

I checked the base and it sits steady on a table. It was also marked by the seller as a 440 baseplate. I was hoping that it was the wrong part thus fixing the problem. The lid was marked by the seller as a 383 lid though... are there any differences in lid heights? I never knew there was any height difference for a 383 and 440 air grabber, so it never occurred to me that the lid or base could be the problem. The engine in the car is a mild build and seems to like the performer that is currently on her, is there a noticeable performance difference between the m1 dual plane or CH4B and the performer thats currently on her? I would be seriously considering the M1 if it is the factory height as it should definitely fix the problem?? The hood will close with just the baseplate on but once you add the filter and lid,a definite no go. So I believe I need maybe an inch or lil more clearance because the filter doesn't sit very high. I again wish to thank everyone who is sharing their opinions and knowledge.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 01:58 PM

Yes the 383 base is taller but there isn't any difference in the lids height.You can get different air filters that have different heights. I have an M1 on my RR and I have no clearance problems.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 07:29 PM

Quote:

I checked the base and it sits steady on a table. It was also marked by the seller as a 440 baseplate. I was hoping that it was the wrong part thus fixing the problem. The lid was marked by the seller as a 383 lid though... are there any differences in lid heights? I never knew there was any height difference for a 383 and 440 air grabber, so it never occurred to me that the lid or base could be the problem. The engine in the car is a mild build and seems to like the performer that is currently on her, is there a noticeable performance difference between the m1 dual plane or CH4B and the performer thats currently on her? I would be seriously considering the M1 if it is the factory height as it should definitely fix the problem?? The hood will close with just the baseplate on but once you add the filter and lid,a definite no go. So I believe I need maybe an inch or lil more clearance because the filter doesn't sit very high. I again wish to thank everyone who is sharing their opinions and knowledge.

A member with a 69 road runner tried the CH4B on advice that I told him it would clear , it didn't. I ASSuMEd the CH4B was stock height because it was NHRA legal in Stock class racing and carried a Chrysler part number.

The ONLY intake in alum that is the same height as a stock iron intake ... that I know of , is the OLD M1 dual plane , I'm pretty sure the current M1 dual plane is a rebadged Performer RPM , no way that is fitting without surgery.

The bases are different between 383 and 440 , 383 is taller , lid and filter is the same .

When you say you checked the base and it sits steady on the table , what parts hits the table ? With the 383 baseplate the only part that touches the table will be the ring that sits on the carb.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 07:44 PM

Is the Edelbrock carb the OP using the same height as the stock AVS carb?

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 09:51 PM

Quote:

Is the Edelbrock carb the OP using the same height as the stock AVS carb?

Yes, it should be. Mine is
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 10:01 PM

Quote:

A member with a 69 road runner tried the CH4B on advice that I told him it would clear , it didn't.

hell has just frozen over........ (i just couldn't resist! )
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/05/14 11:18 PM

Quote:

The ONLY intake in alum that is the same height as a stock iron intake ... that I know of , is the OLD M1 dual plane , I'm pretty sure the current M1 dual plane is a rebadged Performer RPM , no way that is fitting without surgery.

Pretty important point that I regularly fail to mention. Less experience folk might not realize this potentially leading to some frustration. Good catch.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/06/14 05:23 AM

It pretty much sat flush on the table. I am attempting to post a pic of it. I am assuming this means it is the correct base plate. A kind moparts board member has offered to sell me a factory cast iron intake that I think I am going to try. If that does fix all my problems, I will in time be looking for a M1 dual plane intake for the little bit of performance increase. I like how my performer works, I just want to be able to use this air grabber air cleaner. It seems that the M1 will be the closest in performance. What years of the M1 are what I would need? Is there a specific part number that refers to the correct one?

Attached picture 8167338-IMG_20140605_245050_128.jpg
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 06/06/14 05:46 AM

Quote:

The old Edelbrock CH4B may fit as well.

Excellent manifold

Posted By: p d'ro

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 02/20/15 09:19 PM

Does anyone have a part number for an old M1 dual plane for a 440?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 02/20/15 09:25 PM

Holley Sd is probally the best of both worlds.Plus its pretty low.Ran it on 3 BBs and loved it.Rocky
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 02/20/15 10:21 PM

Welcome,

Good advice here. I'd love to see some pics of your car...also check out the 70 coronet FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3150910068/

Not to pick nits, and I'm a bit surprised that nobody else mentioned it but a '70 Coronet never came with an "Air Grabber"....only a "Ramcharger " fresh air hood.

....there is one other manifold that works and is available in aluminum ...

Dave
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 02/21/15 01:28 AM

One option on the air cleaner, although I would never do it to a good factory ramcharger plate is to buy a drop base air cleaner and graft it where the filter rides to a ramcharger base. Should work to allow you to run whatever intake you would like and give you clearance.

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 02/21/15 09:26 PM

Quote:

Not to pick nits, and I'm a bit surprised that nobody else mentioned it but a '70 Coronet never came with an "Air Grabber"....only a "Ramcharger " fresh air hood.

....there is one other manifold that works and is available in aluminum ...

Dave

Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Best intake manifold to use with 1970 coronet with 440? - 02/22/15 01:35 AM

when i bought my 70 coronet it had a 440 with a weiand stealth intake on it, part number weiand 8001, looks like stock height but is lighter. i dont run the air grabber on it though so not sure but maybe someone can chime in, good luck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums