Moparts

1972 CHallenger Paint Color

Posted By: jim6346

1972 CHallenger Paint Color - 06/03/14 02:14 PM

Hello everyone. I am looking at a 72 Challenger, base model 318. It does not have a fender tag, but does have a partial build sheet that matches the VIN, Under UDF COLOR it has 000 (3 zeros) and under PAINT STYLE it says V01.

The car is current stripped and mostly in primer. Of what I can see on the outside, several places show a Petty Blue, but when we removed the package tray it is Gold and does not look like it has been painted.

Just curious, this anything special?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: 1972 CHallenger Paint Color - 06/03/14 02:45 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone. I am looking at a 72 Challenger, base model 318. It does not have a fender tag, but does have a partial build sheet that matches the VIN, Under UDF COLOR it has 000 (3 zeros) and under PAINT STYLE it says V01.

The car is current stripped and mostly in primer. Of what I can see on the outside, several places show a Petty Blue, but when we removed the package tray it is Gold and does not look like it has been painted.

Just curious, this anything special?

Thanks,
Jim

V01 is not a paint code but light group. Paint code was a 2 digit, starting with a letter. There was a Y1- top banana, W1-white, and B1-blue sky. These are the ones with a "1" as the second digit.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 1972 CHallenger Paint Color - 06/03/14 03:45 PM

The 000 is the upper door frame paint code. Since E-bodies had full door panels, there is no upper door frame paint.

Here is a chart that shows all available E-body paint colors by year. Your car is probably Y8...a good looking color when it's fresh.

http://www.aarta.com/challenger_colors/challenger_colors.html
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: 1972 CHallenger Paint Color - 06/03/14 06:31 PM

Quote:

V01 is not a paint code but light group. Paint code was a 2 digit, starting with a letter. There was a Y1- top banana, W1-white, and B1-blue sky. These are the ones with a "1" as the second digit.

V01 means the roof and body were painted the same color. Paint code were 3 digits starting in 1970.

Neither piece of information given will tell the poster the paint color though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums