Moparts

Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork.

Posted By: 5.7bob

Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork. - 06/03/14 01:42 PM

I moved the fork in but it still wants to rotate under heavy load. A buddy said he heard use a Ford bearing. Any ideas.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork. - 06/03/14 04:16 PM

There are clips that secure the throw out bearing in the fork. Are they missing or broken?

Re: Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork. - 06/04/14 02:29 AM

They are there and not broken.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork. - 06/05/14 07:49 AM

Check if the part named pivot is cracked or misshaped. That happened to me - the pivot does not seem to be strong enough. The fork has a riveted flat retaining spring that is engaged in a hole in the pivot. The pivot is bolted to the back of the bell housing with two screws.

If the pivot is bad, make your own out of heavier material.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork. - 06/05/14 08:47 AM

I repaired a bent pivot that eventually broke due to flexing, because the guy bent it so he could pull the shift fork out and put it back in. It flexed enough that it finally broke and left us stranded in a nearby town. I made a small relief in the bell housing opening for the shift fork with a carbide burr, so it would fit in and hook to the replacement pivot without having to bend it to get it back in the bellhousing with both clips securely attached. Luckily, I happened to have a spare one in my parts stash.

Re: Throw out bearing rotating in clutch fork. - 06/05/14 01:10 PM

I took the fork out yesterday put some tacks on the inside edges of the fork and filed it. There was to much gap there. Did some heavy testing and it did not turn in the fork. Life is good now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums