Moparts

Steering Wheel Column Nut

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Steering Wheel Column Nut - 06/02/14 02:24 AM

Where can I source one of these? For the Dart... I can't find mine, it has to be somewhere, sure it will show up after I get another.

Are these a thinner jam nut, lock nut, or? I know the size is 9/16-18 fine thread.

Thanks!
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Steering Wheel Column Nut - 06/02/14 06:09 AM

I don't think its a lock nut. At least in 1956 they weren't I seem to remember a washer with groves for locking under the nut (?) but its been many years. Anyway, I had to make one for an old Dodge 1/2 ton. I found a nut of the proper thread configuration and had it split to the right thickness (on an industrial bandsaw *only because they had one where I worked that could slice a .06" wafer from a piece only an inch long*)

A carefully wielded hacksaw and a vise would work too in a pinch

Scott
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Steering Wheel Column Nut - 06/02/14 03:28 PM

I would think there would be plenty in a junk yard, it is a lock nut on most everything I have seen. Surely another member in the area has one to give you, if not I can put one in the mail in the next few days, PM me if it becomes necessary.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Steering Wheel Column Nut - 06/03/14 07:55 PM

I might call the dealer.... I can source a 9/16 - 18 nut anywhere. Does the FSM have a good shot of the nut?
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Steering Wheel Column Nut - 06/03/14 08:50 PM

ive got several send me your address and ill send ya one
Posted By: therocks

Re: Steering Wheel Column Nut - 06/03/14 10:56 PM

Put a nut on with blue LockTite.Red if you are paranoid.Ive never seen a washer under any of the wheels Ive pulled and I pulled a lot.Once the wheel is tightened the nut is pretty much just a second safety.Try pulling a wheel off without a puller.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums