Moparts

I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier

Posted By: Pyper70

I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/29/14 06:11 PM

I remember buying the carpet for three different cars and they all came molded, with jute insulation, rubber footrest pad, the opening for the footswitch as well as the shifter....I take out the carpet for a 71-74 B Body today and its just a flat piece of carpet with some insulation and a plastic footrest pad.

Now I have to be SUPER careful when I cut the opening for the 4 speed bezel because if it goes one way its gonna look horrible.

This quality ...well it isn't quality.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/29/14 06:21 PM

Your probably used to the ACC carpets that YO used to carry, now they're Trim Parts Carpets IIRC
Posted By: feets

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/29/14 06:30 PM

Yep!

I got my ACC carpet from Rock Auto.

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/29/14 08:01 PM

This is an ACC Carpet...Owner bought it without mentioning it to me...I am kinda...saddened by the workmanship...but what can you expect for $166

I think I paid around 250-300 for the carpet in each of my rides.

Do I have to let these sit out in the sun or something to flatten them out?It seems there is GOBS of excess carpet and its cut to fit the application
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 04:53 AM

Quote:

This is an ACC Carpet...Owner bought it without mentioning it to me...I am kinda...saddened by the workmanship...but what can you expect for $166

I think I paid around 250-300 for the carpet in each of my rides.

Do I have to let these sit out in the sun or something to flatten them out?It seems there is GOBS of excess carpet and its cut to fit the application

The last time I paid $150 for an ACC carpet was 30+ years ago....never had one that was "cut to fit" other than cut to fit the sills/shifter/etc

I've had Trim Parts carpets that where cut to fit (pure junk) that were bought by customers trying to save a few bucks, and they were/are currently in the $150+ price range,.. ACC carpets, even just the 80/20 loops currently start in the $250+ price range directly from ACC...maybe it was "reboxed" by a vendor?
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 11:52 AM

Quote:

Your probably used to the ACC carpets that YO used to carry, now they're Trim Parts Carpets IIRC

I have a Trim Parts carpet in the Duster, I'm thinking about just throwing it away and getting a ACC. The fit is horrible.

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 06:59 PM

I'll snap a pic before I start hacking it and report back...there is a good 8" on the L/R side that need to be lopped off....
Posted By: stumpy

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 08:26 PM

Be sure to let the carpet sit for a couple of days after you lay it and reinstall the seats, console etc. before you trim it. Been there and ended up short sided.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 09:39 PM

I bought my ACC carpet from this vendor for 143.95

It hasn't gone in yet (upcoming in the next week or two) but it looked right when I took it out of the box.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 09:58 PM

Just info, but I don't think there is supposed to be a precut hole for the dimer switch. I think it was cut on installation. And just a slit, not a nice hole.

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 10:39 PM

All the excess on the passenger side

Attached picture 8160256-IMG_0972.JPG

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 10:40 PM

and the drivers side

Attached picture 8160258-IMG_0974.JPG
Posted By: BDW

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 11:49 PM

Quote:

I bought my ACC carpet from this vendor for 143.95

It hasn't gone in yet (upcoming in the next week or two) but it looked right when I took it out of the box.

Go to RockAuto and use the discount code, got mine for <$150
Its all the same ACC carpet, just different vendor mark-ups.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/30/14 11:55 PM

In 1978 I went to the dealer and bought a new carpet for my 71 Challenger 4 speed. It fell into place, the shifter hole was cutout, fit the tunnel properly and no trimming required. It seems to me if you make a repro carpet you should make it like that. If you can't make it like that maybe you should charge $50 for it, because that's all it's worth.

Sheldon

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/31/14 12:10 AM

Quote:

In 1978 I went to the dealer and bought a new carpet for my 71 Challenger 4 speed. It fell into place, the shifter hole was cutout, fit the tunnel properly and no trimming required. It seems to me if you make a repro carpet you should make it like that. If you can't make it like that maybe you should charge $50 for it, because that's all it's worth.

Sheldon

I agree
Posted By: BDW

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/31/14 01:04 AM

You guys sound like gramps, "I remember when ............."

Bet you wouldn't want to go back the the salary/pay you were making in 1978.

Chrysler went out of business for a reason, no customers.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/31/14 01:30 AM

That has what to do with the crappy quality of repro parts?
And I'd love to go back to my 78 wage along with the 78 cost of things.

Sheldon

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 05/31/14 10:23 AM

Quote:

You guys sound like gramps, "I remember when ............."

Bet you wouldn't want to go back the the salary/pay you were making in 1978.

Chrysler went out of business for a reason, no customers.

Wasn't around in '78...but if it meant getting paid a decent wage...and then using said money to go and order parts from Chrysler and the parts were quality and still made in the USA...By Golly I think I wouldn't have a problem with that
Posted By: dangina

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 06/02/14 01:51 AM

i bought the same carpet with the same headache. Had easily 12-16" on the sides, over a foot on the front and rear, no holes cut out for shifter or dimmer, took a few days for it to get it back to shape too, still fighting with it...its been a month
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 06/02/14 01:46 PM

Quote:

I'll snap a pic before I start hacking it and report back...there is a good 8" on the L/R side that need to be lopped off....

I would suggest using a real carpet knife to trim it in instead of hacking away at it. It is way sharper and works way better than a utility knife. That's over half the battle being able to cut the carpet cleanly and easily.

I use my carpet knife for every thing and never use the utility knife because even with a new blade in it, it don't cut as nice as the carpet knife with a dull wore out blade in it.

I have a year in school leaning to kick carpet and other flooring and then spent 2 years doing it after I graduated from Hi school.

I'm not scared of carpet installation, you make a bunch of pie cut's to relive the carpet and it will fit nicely.
Carpet knife up top. I cut drywall with mine right before this picture was taken.

Re: I remember YO Carpet Installation much easier - 06/02/14 07:06 PM

the one in the top part of the pic is the knife I use most of the time...the blade it super sharp. Didn't know it was called a carpet knife. Thanks for that
© 2024 Moparts Forums