Moparts

Use the studs or put in bolts on header install?

Posted By: Anonymous

Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 12/30/08 02:28 AM

Ready to install my headers on freshly rebuilt 383 and wondering if I should remove the manifold studs and use bolts or leave the studs in? I am not even sure the headers will fit with the studs? The studs go into the water jacket so if they are removed what if anything needs to done to reseal them? I am using Heddman's cheapest set ordered from Summit (I puked on TTI's price), into a 71 Charger. Also I have the car completely dissembled and so there is nothing really in the way of putting them in, and for the install I will even be removing the torsion bars.

Thanks MoParts, thanks for reading and any help is appreciated!!!!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 12/30/08 02:59 AM

I replaced all the bolts with studs again on my 440.Even with the aluminum heads and dry holes I prefer the studs.I swapped them in my old iron heads also.I only have bolts where studs wont fit.Thats I think 3 of them.Rocky
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 12/31/08 07:30 PM

thanks Rocky, you use anything on the bolts to seal them?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 12/31/08 08:04 PM

use a sealant. Teflon Tape, Teflon goop, permatex etc. If you can still fit the headers on with studs you are wise to do so. But bolts work too.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 12/31/08 08:22 PM

1 7/8 headers usually work with studs & I would use the studs if possible...With 2"& larger headers small headed bolts seem to work better but I wouls still try to use studs in the end locations...
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 01/01/09 08:08 AM

Quote:

1 7/8 headers usually work with studs & I would use the studs if possible...With 2"& larger headers small headed bolts seem to work better but I wouls still try to use studs in the end locations...

Not much to add. On my 383 with 1-7/8" headers the studs worked great. With 2" headers some tubes would not clear the studs so I had to use bolts. On small blocks I alaways use the studs on the ends to prevent coolant leaks.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 01/01/09 12:55 PM

Believe it or not I use silver anti sieze on the studs and bolts.Have done probally 6 cars and none leaked.Plus when you remove them they come right out.Rocky
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 01/01/09 02:01 PM

I always use Permatex Indian Head Shellac and by all means use the studs in the wet holes. You will be glad you did the first time you have to remove a header for a gasket leak or some other reason. The headers will fit over even if you have to remove an engine mount pin and slightly raise the motor on one side for install, that is no big deal, but I bet they will fit anyway.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 01/01/09 06:14 PM

I'm using all my studs on my 440 w/ summit headers. Just easier and if you pop a header gasket you don't have to drain the block or drop the header...just unbolt, yank the bad gasket and slide the next one in.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Use the studs or put in bolts on header install? - 01/01/09 07:28 PM

Studs with sealant if you have the clearance.

This is especially helpful if your headers capture your starter, or if you have a gasket leak.
© 2024 Moparts Forums