Moparts

My first 4-speed; something don't seem right...

Posted By: WyleECoyote

My first 4-speed; something don't seem right... - 05/09/14 04:46 AM

Something doesn't seem right but I don't know - its my first pistol grip car!

106,000 mile car. All original (as far as I know / was told - meaning mostly original as I can tell).

I finally have the engine running and now I'm working on getting it moving. I've never owned a manual trans car before. I've driven plenty; new ones, other people's and military vehicles when I was active duty - so I know something isn't right with this 71 Charger.

The first 2-inches of pedal push is like pushing air - no resistance and then it hits quick with resistance and clicks. (see video #1 below)

Then, once I get to that point, I feel resistance on the pedal the whole way through depression - but during depression (or after during release) there is a clicking noise. (see video #2 below)

Can anyone provide any insight to what may be going on here? Suggestions? Ideas? Placement of explosives?

Thanks!

Video #1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iuiZGkLAqQY

Video #2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4NXQ-ql3c
Posted By: stumpy

Re: My first 4-speed; something ain't right with this... - 05/09/14 04:50 AM

Lube the pedal and linkage pivot points. The free play is a little excessive but not by much. I like about an inch from the top.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: My first 4-speed; something don't seem right... - 05/09/14 05:09 AM

Best way to adjust a clutch is from underneath.
Since 40 year old linkage will have significant wear..
Pull the inspection plate and adjust the rod so the throw-out bearing is pulled back about 1/8". Also sounds like U may have a diaphram clutch and are forcing it too far..

Just my $0.05...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: My first 4-speed; something don't seem right... - 05/09/14 05:55 AM

With the clutch pedal on the floor I'd (1) see how much diaphram to 'wheel clearance you have (2) as said see what type of hat you have (diaphram/borg & beck etc). As said there is too much pedal freeplay & lengthening the threaded rod may take care of some (or all) of it & when I bought my first Mopar in '75 a 440 4 sp GTX it had been street raced very hard & had that kind of freeplay in the pedal at the top
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: My first 4-speed; something don't seem right... - 05/09/14 11:21 AM

Look under the dash at the pedal. Is there a large spring assist? Mine clicks when dry. Some spray lube will cure that. Pull the inspection cover and see what kind of pressure plate you have.
© 2024 Moparts Forums