Moparts

CD player in a challeneger

Posted By: kissmyaspen

CD player in a challeneger - 05/05/14 06:57 PM

Looking to put a CD player into the dash on a challenger. Does anyone make a installation kit to do this?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/05/14 10:30 PM

How about a CD player installed in a floor or console mounted factory cassette case instead ?...

Attached picture 8135074-cassettepeb.JPG
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/05/14 11:24 PM

Pretty sure no one makes a kit.

It's been a long time since I did mine, but I don't think I needed a kit to do it anyway.

If I recall correctly, removing the radio left me with pretty much a standard DIN size hole in the dash. CD player came with a thin mounting surround that slid in and had tabs to fold out and secure it. The head unit then slid right into the thin surround piece. I used a section of thin metal strap (Home Depot probably) to make a rear support. Then custom spliced all the wiring.

Only drawback is that you will need to cut a small section off of the piece that mounts under the dash on the right side to make room for the radio faceplate. I don't think there is any way around that with an aftermarket radio. So if your car is all original look for a spare to cut up at the swap meets.

Another option would be to have the factory radio upgraded with new internals, and then use a trunk mounted CD changer. But, you're into big money going that direction.
Posted By: JonC

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/05/14 11:31 PM

Why a CD player? From the pic you have a cassette player, just get an adapter from Family Dollar that allows you to play an Ipod or similar device for $6.00. CD's are starting to disappear.
Posted By: 71_deputy

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/06/14 02:33 PM

big bucks 10 years ago and even bigger bucks today on the unit in the trunk.
my son picked up a am/fm/single cd/ipod input/hands free to your phone and a usb in front to play music for around $150.00 bucks.
crap- nice looking unit too.

most of my music is on my phone linked to my vans hands free- but you can put a lot of music on a usb stick!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Silver70

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/06/14 05:34 PM

I had to trim the lower dash trim to fit one in mine... luckily for me, it was trim that was cracked and I fixed, so didn't have to think twice about cutting it. You may be able to trim the cd player trim to fit, but they are usually thin and not much material to work with.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/06/14 06:12 PM

Quote:

It's been a long time since I did mine, but I don't think I needed a kit to do it anyway.

If I recall correctly, removing the radio left me with pretty much a standard DIN size hole in the dash. CD player came with a thin mounting surround that slid in and had tabs to fold out and secure it. The head unit then slid right into the thin surround piece. I used a section of thin metal strap (Home Depot probably) to make a rear support. Then custom spliced all the wiring.

Only drawback is that you will need to cut a small section off of the piece that mounts under the dash on the right side to make room for the radio faceplate. I don't think there is any way around that with an aftermarket radio. So if your car is all original look for a spare to cut up at the swap meets.

Another option would be to have the factory radio upgraded with new internals, and then use a trunk mounted CD changer. But, you're into big money going that direction.

I did the same thing you did. The metal "cage" for the CD player was a tight fit in my original dash opening, with no cutting required, and no additional bracing required. I found a CD player with a very thin rectangular face plate. I was able to fit the factory lower dash trim piece over the CD face plate, again with no cutting. Cutting my factory dash piece was not an option for me. If need be, I would have cut the lower edge off of the rectangular CD trim piece so that the factory trim piece would have fit properly with no cutting.
Posted By: BDW

Re: CD player in a challeneger - 05/06/14 09:12 PM

Quote:

Same here, standard metal cage fit opening. Did have to trim plastic bezel slightly.
Look for radio with thin bszel.
© 2024 Moparts Forums