Moparts

Firm feel power steering box, which one?

Posted By: wesgtx440

Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 06:17 AM

Looking into getting one for a 68 charger and wondering which one to go with. They list stage I, II and III. Which one do you recommend?
Posted By: dangina

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 09:07 AM

those that got the stage 2 usually wish they got the stage 3
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 11:29 AM

Quote:

those that got the stage 2 usually wish they got the stage 3

Agreed, stage 3 is the box of choice, although according to Andy F. they now have a Stage 4....Hmmmmm
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 01:36 PM

Haha, I just went through this two months ago for my 73 Charger!

I went with the Stage III and am very happy. It feels about 75% like a modern day sedan steering to me. It isn't the pinky steering anymore like the factory boxes but no too firm where it's not fun to drive....even at low speeds. I heard if you have fast ratio pitman/idler arms, then the stage III can be getting pretty firm but with factory ratios, I love it.

Go with the Stage III!
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 02:57 PM

My stage 2 is OK but I wish I had a stage 3 on my 410" 67 Barracuda.
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like the stage III version is the way to go!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 05:39 PM

Kinda like TB's haven't heard anybody say they went too far in their choice, I went 2 and would definitely go 3 on next, but the 4? sounds interesting.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 07:37 PM

In 2003 I added the Stage 3 from FF. I liked it. In 2006 I added the Fast ratio Idler and Pitman arms. The ratio is 15.7 to one in the box and the FR arms reduce it to just a tad under 12.0 to 1.
The steering feel is better than stock and the response feels good. On center it still has some numbness. I've read that this is something that is common with the Mopar steering box and that Firm Feel does the best that they can with them.
The Borgeson conversion really has me curious though. If I stumble upon some cash I am going to try one.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/22/14 08:29 PM

Quote:

Agreed, stage 3 is the box of choice, although according to Andy F. they now have a Stage 4....Hmmmmm

Indeed, this has been the "Bigfoot" of the Mopar world for awhile: Stage 4 Firm Feel.................someone has to have one?
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/23/14 12:15 AM

just a thought,the smaller the steering wheel the harder? it will be doing things,if ,for say you have a 15" wheel the stage 3 it will be easier to turn,not that it will be hard to turn,just saying.i had a stage 2 with a 13" wheel and it was all i wanted.went to a larger wheel and liked it better.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/26/14 10:30 PM

So this FF Stage 4 box makes it on par with the Borgenson Box now?
If so this is a classic example of competition between companies and product improvements that could come from that.
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: Firm feel power steering box, which one? - 04/28/14 08:29 PM

Really the stages just refir to the effort required to turn the wheel. The few that have the borgeson say it's about a Stage 2.5 in Firm Feel terms.

Biggest thing going for the Borgeson is that it is a BRAND NEW 0 mile box. That beats the cores that Firm Feel uses.

That being said, I have a FF Stage 3 coupled to a Tuff Wheel and Fast ratio arms and love it. Like Frankenduster, there's just a smidge of numbness on center, but go a fraction of a degree and you have instant feedback.
© 2024 Moparts Forums