Moparts

Retrofit roller lifters? (Oops...)

Posted By: dodgedartgt

Retrofit roller lifters? (Oops...) - 12/29/08 12:18 AM

When I originally posted, I typed roller rockers... What I meant and would like to learn about is roller lifters, SO...

Can someone tell me about retro fitting roller lifters into a '76 vintage LA block? Brands, prices, modifications necessary, anything else you can think of.
TIA, Mike

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/29/08 04:18 PM

BTTT,
Thanx, Mike
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/29/08 04:41 PM

WHy do you want roller rockers??? They will give you no HP advantage over a set of dictile iron. The only advantage that they will have over the stamped OEM rockers is truer ratio. Here by Dulcich.

Attached picture 4908388-roller.jpg

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 12/29/08 07:33 PM

Thanks MoparforLife,

I made a typo when I posted this originally... What I meant was retrofit roller lifters... sorry and thanx.

Mike
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/29/08 08:45 PM

Quote:

WHy do you want roller rockers??? They will give you no HP advantage over a set of dictile iron. The only advantage that they will have over the stamped OEM rockers is truer ratio. Here by Dulcich.

Some of us like reving our engines over 5K, and besides, lightening the valvetrain is ALWAYS a good idea.

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/29/08 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Some of us like reving our engines over 5K, and besides, lightening the valvetrain is ALWAYS a good idea.

Rollers ain't the answer for that. Better places to spend the money than that if that is the reason you are looking at. I don't like picking little needles out of the engine either.
Quote:

I made a typo when I posted this originally... What I meant was retrofit roller lifters... sorry and thanx.

Roller cam is a completely different story.
Posted By: go-fish

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 12:17 AM

Not roller cam. You're thinking about roller cam bearings.
To retrofit for roller lifters you need to bush the lifter bores. The sleeves will still end up being .904. You will need to find a shop with a special cam tunnel fixture for LA. They need to use this fixture to bush the bores, it needs to be LA specific.
The closest shop I found was 100 + miles away. I was debating sending the block to Hughes before I found them.

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 12:46 AM

Quote:

Not roller cam. You're thinking about roller cam bearings.

Wrong answer! Been in this game long enough to know that a hydraulic roller cam is the terminology used to describe a camshaft ground to use a hydraulic roller lifters.
Not referring to a camshaft using roller cam bearings
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 12:46 AM

I am running the Crane Hydraulic Retrofit Roller Lifters and the block was not bushed. I did have to have a custom smaller base roller cam made up so the lifter oil grooves would not be exposed at max lift.

Attached picture 4909346-LiftersAfterRunning.JPG

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 12:49 AM

I did have to grind the block on the upper lifer valley to get them to go in. Very minor grinding though.

Attached picture 4909350-LifterGrindAreas.JPG
Posted By: fig426

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 01:53 AM

STOCK 340 BLOCK

Attached picture 4909528-1115070102[1](2).jpg
Posted By: dezduster

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 06:04 AM

A bump as I am also interested in this. BUMP
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 04:34 PM

Quote:

I did have to have a custom smaller base roller cam made up so the lifter oil grooves would not be exposed at max lift.

Is this a problem on all early pre roller blocks?

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 12/30/08 09:45 PM

Waht year did the 318/5.2 & 360/5.9 become roller lifter blocks?
Also... BUMP!
Thanks, Mike

Re: Retrofit roller rockers? - 12/30/08 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did have to have a custom smaller base roller cam made up so the lifter oil grooves would not be exposed at max lift.

Is this a problem on all early pre roller blocks?

Depends on the block and how high a lift the cam has. On my '71 340 block the top of the lifer bores had a chamfer machined into them and that caused the oil groove to be exposed. But the machining was not consistent. Some sealed really well and others did not. Brian at IMM (user ou812) had a cam ground for me that solved the problem. Was about the same price as an off the shelf retrofit roller cam.

Attached picture 4911147-BlockGrinding3.JPG
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 12/31/08 04:16 AM

Quote:

Waht year did the 318/5.2 & 360/5.9 become roller lifter blocks?
Also... BUMP!
Thanks, Mike

They started showing up ready for a roller in late '84 even though many still used flat tappets until '87-88.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 01/01/09 06:30 AM

For the cost and trouble of converting to a roller cam, you would be nuts if you didn't just find a later stock roller cam block.
Posted By: mike_vango

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 01/01/09 05:03 PM

Quote:

For the cost and trouble of converting to a roller cam, you would be nuts if you didn't just find a later stock roller cam block.

i agree!!

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 01/01/09 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i agree!!

A lot cheaper that way too.

Re: Retrofit roller lifters? - 01/03/09 12:49 AM

Thanks for every ones input... Anyone else have any thoughts?
Mike Bynum
© 2024 Moparts Forums