Moparts

RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic***

Posted By: WarEagle1

RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic*** - 04/15/14 03:19 AM

Are the slotted water holes OK in the Fel-Pro 1039(see pic)? Much more restrictive compared to the other gasket.
I'm building an aluminum headed 10:1 Hemi street motor (4.500 bore). I have these 1039's and the brown gaskets pictured (no p/n's on them). Anybody know the brand / part number on the brown ones? They're about .050 un-compressed.
Also, will the 1039's brinnell my heads? I like Fel-Pros in general, but would like to go thinner than .051 compressed and don't want the brinelling.
Any help is appreciated.

Attached picture 8112731-IMG_6639.JPG
Posted By: ahy

Re: RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic*** - 04/15/14 03:43 AM

I've seen a number of posts on the water hole... and have run 1009's and permatorque as supplied with no problems. I think that hole/slot is more of a vent than a flow passage. As far as brinelling, I think any gasket can do that with an aluminum head... especially gaskets with the heavier fire ring. It doesn't seem to be a big issue. If not serious or extreme, no problem to re-use the heads as is when pulled.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic*** - 04/15/14 03:56 AM

On the water issue go to www.moparchat.com then scroll down to & click on "circle track chat" then read thru Sanborns' cooling mods that are in a sticky at the top of the page. A long read but extremely informative & alot/most applies over to BB's as well like what you are working on. You'll have your answer when you're done.
Posted By: BeeSuper

Re: RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic*** - 04/15/14 02:35 PM

Roll tide to ya. P.S. Don't tell anyone, my daughter starts at Auburn this fall.
Posted By: WarEagle1

Re: RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic*** - 04/15/14 05:41 PM

Wise choice on her part! WDE!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: RB/Hemi Fel-Pro head gasket question - ***pic*** - 04/15/14 09:07 PM

Only gasket that will not brinell the heads would be MLS type gasket. Cometic is probably the best mfg in that space. The gaskets are expensive, but you won't have to resurface the heads each time you pull them off.
© 2024 Moparts Forums