Moparts

Powertrax locker

Posted By: hemiluver

Powertrax locker - 12/28/08 01:39 PM

Guys,

Have any of you tried a Powertrax 1240-Lock right locker? Are they srong enough for a 3700 lbs car with 500 rwhp and a stick? Also how do they work on the srteet? Thanks-Gary
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: Powertrax locker - 12/28/08 03:03 PM

I used one in a 8.25 for a while, and it locked like a spool when it was locked. It would ratchet OK around tight corners like stop signs, but it needed a little bit of gas to ratchet around longer corners, like at larger intersections. If you just coasted through those trailing throttle, it would pop really loudly as it was forced to ratchet. Just a little gas would cure that, but you have to be conscious of that fact when you drove. An automatic car may not have that issue, but you're driving a stick, too.

In the end, I decided it was too harsh for my 99% street car, but would be awesome in a real 50/50 or track-only car. Even better for an off-road truck with an auto trans.

Clair
Posted By: Dr-Dave2

Re: Powertrax locker - 12/28/08 06:46 PM

I had one in a 9-C1 police package caprice, It worked OK but scared the crap out of anybody else that borrowed it, they were sure something was broken the first time it wold "POP" on them going around a corner. I ended up taking it back out.
Posted By: Sub95

Re: Powertrax locker - 12/28/08 07:33 PM

I have used them in full sized chevy,fords 4x4, hard offroading and no problems. only thing i did not like is they didnt want to release going around a tight turn and the tire would drag, this is on short wheelbase trucks ( bronco/blazer )
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Powertrax locker - 12/29/08 02:04 AM

I blew one up on my truck, on a decent built 360 with no nitrous. I was running a mustang at the time on the street. I would not put one in my current truck set up. It weight 4200 lbs and has over 400 at the wheels.
© 2024 Moparts Forums