Moparts

8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help...

Posted By: MuuMuu101

8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/29/14 11:37 PM

So I've got an 8 3/4 that came out of a '70 Dart. I took one side of the drum brake all apart but am now stuck putting it back together. I have two primary problems regarding my old shoe. The first is I'm not sure how to remove the horse clip that big chunk of metal that holds in the anti-rattle spring/beam thing.

Also, did I make a mistake by ordering '68 shoes. I've got a pin on my old drums to hold the adjusting lever but they're not on my new ones. Am I supposed to remove this somehow, if so, how?

Attached picture 8093610-20140329_143736.jpg
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/29/14 11:41 PM

the anti-rattle spring/beam thing

LOL

that the lever for the parking brake. Pry it apart. The new shoes should have a new 1 in the box. 68 should be the same.

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/29/14 11:43 PM

Quote:

LOL

that the lever for the parking brake. Pry it apart. The new shoes should have a new 1 in the box. 68 should be the same.

I was trying to judge what it was by my service manual and what you know, it was in the box!

Horse clip is still giving me troubles though...

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/29/14 11:56 PM

Ok, I got it... Thanks.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL

I was trying to judge what it was by my service manual and what you know, it was in the box!

Horse clip is still giving me troubles though...

a little oil and either a very small screwdriver (jeweler) or a dental pick will do it. dental picks are the cat's butt for stuff like that!

whoops, never mind! you got it!

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 01:30 AM

I think I finished one side. Does this look right?

Attached picture 8093726-20140329_162454.jpg
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 01:37 AM

Uhh, maybe pinch the "horse shoe" clip ends together.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 01:40 AM

Close up the horseshoe clip before it comes off, looks to me that black spring is wrong, should be a second spring like the yellow one in the other hole below where the black spring is in the shoe. Something don't look right with the spring at the bottom of the shoes, it serves two purposes, return spring to pull the shoes against the adjuster and it keeps the adjuster from turning freely.
Posted By: SportF

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 01:55 AM

Also, are both those shoes the same size? You should have a "short" shoe on the front side, and a longer shoe on the rear side.

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 05:04 AM

Quote:

Close up the horseshoe clip before it comes off, looks to me that black spring is wrong, should be a second spring like the yellow one in the other hole below where the black spring is in the shoe. Something don't look right with the spring at the bottom of the shoes, it serves two purposes, return spring to pull the shoes against the adjuster and it keeps the adjuster from turning freely.

Quote:

Also, are both those shoes the same size? You should have a "short" shoe on the front side, and a longer shoe on the rear side.

I ended up pinching the horse clips afterwards. Yeah, I kind of figured I screwed up somewhere. Just took a look and I used the two short shoes. I don't think I was supposed to punch that one pin into the short one. Luckily, I accidentally bought two kits. Also, the parking brake cable protrudes past the spring that sits right above the adjuster and I couldn't figure that out for the life of me.

I'll work on it Monday most likely. Here is a picture of the other side from this morning...

Attached picture 8094004-20140329_134309.jpg
Posted By: skicker

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 05:13 AM

Quote:

Think of it like a mullet...long in the back and short in the front. That's the only way I remember how they're supposed to go.

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 05:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Think of it like a mullet...long in the back and short in the front. That's the only way I remember how they're supposed to go.

That's good to know... So far, all I have to say is I like disc brakes way better. They're so much nicer to work on. No springs for your springs on top of springs connected to springs.
Posted By: Dons Dart

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 05:29 PM

your aduster is on the wrong way also turn it around.

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 05:59 PM

Quote:

your aduster is on the wrong way also turn it around.

Which adjuster? The bottom one? If I turn that around the lever wouldn't even contact it to hold it in place.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 07:21 PM

The stamped metal piece at the bottom of the assembly has to contact the adjuster that spreads the brake shoes to maintain close contact to the brake drum. There is a right and a left to these parts and they are marked with "L" and "R". When the car is reversed the metal piece drops down and picks up a tooth on the adjuster and pulls it upwards when the brake is released, if you have reversed the pieces, they won't engage. These parts do wear out and are commonly available new.
I like to put a small dab of anti-seize on the contact points on the backing plates (where the brake shoe metal touches) and on the threads of the adjuster. Old backing plates will have a groove worn in the metal from contact at 6 places, you can grind it smooth if it is a small groove or fill it with weld if it is deep and then grind smooth. Disc brakes are great on the front and drum brakes are better on the rear for parking brake, wedging effect, simplicity, etc. etc..
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 07:21 PM

Surprising that no one here has asked if you have a FSM...Factory Service Manual???? A good reference for getting those brakes re-done right...But we are also here to help and what was mentioned above is correct

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

Surprising that no one here has asked if you have a FSM...Factory Service Manual???? A good reference for getting those brakes re-done right...But we are also here to help and what was mentioned above is correct

That's what I was using while referencing the other side of the rear end.
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/30/14 08:07 PM

Here is how mine looks

Attached picture 8094579-DSC02870.jpg
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 12:12 AM

Quote:

Here is how mine looks

Mullet?
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 12:32 AM

1. The triangular washer at the top of the backing plate is missing.

2. The parking brake lever retainer is not crimped.

3. The wavy washer under the retainer is missing.

4. The brake shoes are on backward.
Posted By: Steve Bryant

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 02:30 AM

DoctorDiff,

Holy crap, thank you for the notes. I will work on those immediately. I did find the triangle washer so it is good and I will buy a wavy washer and crimp the retainer. As far as being backward is concerned, this is my left side so I thought I had them in right. I guess the smaller shoe points to the front of the vehicle and I thought it was the other way around.

Glad I posted that and you were good enough to respond.

Thank you very much!

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 02:53 AM

Yes, install the short shoe toward the front and the long shoe toward the rear.

Someone mentioned just like a Mullet; short in the front, long in the rear.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 03:07 AM

Not a dealbreaker but the short spring (coming up from the short shoe) goes on the anchor before the longer spring

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 03:10 AM

The springs are installed correctly. The short spring is on the bottom.

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 03:33 AM

So besides my mullet shoe problems were there any other problems with my setup?

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 03:43 AM

You are also missing the wavy washer under the parking brake (hose-shoe) retainer.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 03:46 AM

The brake drum needs to go on before the wheel/tire go on..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 8 3/4 Rear Drum Brake help... - 03/31/14 03:49 AM

Yes I forgot to add that your short springs are on the bottom. I'd wipe the linings/drums with some brake kleen then install the drums & spoon em up till with the wheel on you spin the tire/wheel by hand (fronts) & adj till you hear (but do not feel it slowing the wheel down) a slight "tick" at one point in the wheels' revolution. On the rears up on 2 heavy duty stands under the housing idle it in gear with a helper in the dr seat adj till you hear the same slight tick. Have him stop the wheels with the brake then you spoon farther then you holler & he lets off the pedal & you listen for the tick. Being safety conscious of course. Adj em again in several weeks
© 2024 Moparts Forums