Moparts

Turn signals not working properly

Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 06:30 PM

OK. So my turnsignals didn't work on my 68 Dart. I put in a new switch and now they still don't work correctly. If I turn the 4-ways on they work fine. If I turn the directionals on, they will blink a few (3,4,5 or so) times then they will stop. They may start back up again but just at a sporadic blink. When they stop, you can hear the blinker relay do the first "tink", but not the second "tonk" (for lack of better words). When they stop the are dark, not illuminated. What am I missing???
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 06:48 PM

Quote:

OK. So my turnsignals didn't work on my 68 Dart. I put in a new switch and now they still don't work correctly. If I turn the 4-ways on they work fine. If I turn the directionals on, they will blink a few (3,4,5 or so) times then they will stop. They may start back up again but just at a sporadic blink. When they stop, you can hear the blinker relay do the first "tink", but not the second "tonk" (for lack of better words). When they stop the are dark, not illuminated. What am I missing???

There are two flashers, the easy one to find and get to is for the hazards. The hard one to find and get to is for the turn signals.

The hard one ls bolted to the pass side of the ash tray housing on an A body, IIRC. I suppose you could pull the glove box liner out to get to it.

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 07:03 PM

No problem getting at that one. It is zip tied to my roll cage bar under the dash. I'll try a new one.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 08:04 PM

Toss the old metal type and get one of the new electronic types.They are about 10 or 12 bucks at any parts store.they work great.My 65 had a problem that they were either too fast or too slow.It fixed that problem and they work great.Rocky

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 08:34 PM

That sounds like a plan! It seems I don't have a good enough ground on the cannister for it to work proplerly. I'm definitely trying one of the plastic ones.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 08:56 PM

Just an FYI, the canister does not require grounding.

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 09:22 PM

Ok, I thought it didn't also but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/22/14 10:32 PM

The old style flashers use a bi-metallic spring with contact points. when cool, the spring closes the points.
When you complete the circuit via the TS switch the current flows through the spring to the contact points. The current passing through the spring heats it up and causes it to spring open (TINK) and breaks the current flow through the contacts When the spring cools it closes the points again (tink) and re establishes current flow.
As previously mentioned you most likely have a bad flasher
Note that using LED lights will not draw enough current for the old style flashers to work.
Also note that a burn out bulb or bad ground can also cause problems as either can affect the amount of current passing through the spring thereby altering its "timing"
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Turn signals not working properly - 03/09/20 12:32 AM

Man I wish i had found this sooner. Just went through this on my 67 Dart, first thing I replaced the flasher near the fusebox thinking that it was for the turn signal. When that didn't work I pulled the wheel and replaced the switch ($60), no change obviously. Then I read here that the flasher I needed to replace was near the glovebox. Plugged the new flasher in there and viola, all work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums