Moparts

Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint?

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 06:32 AM

Painting the dash frame and steering column in my '71 Satellite.

Do the column and dash use the same paint?

I just can't ask for "flat black". Is there some kind of description that I should use to ask for the paint?

I've heard of SEM interior paint????
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 07:00 AM

Hey Van,

I used SEM on the bee. Painted the plastic and the steering column with it. I've used SEM in a spray bomb and also custom mixed in the can. If you apply it with a detail gun you won't be sorry. it flows great. SEM makes a surface prep for plastic surfaces. For metal you can shoot it right over primer. SEM makes primer in a spray bomb too. the sheen looks really nice. I'm don't know if it's accurate but it's a like an egg shell to semi gloss look. The stuff flows like a dream and is really tough. Buy yourself a can of the black interior paint and play around with it.
Posted By: edp

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 07:04 AM

SEM hot rod black - catalyzed matte finish, looks awesome. If you only want to bomb can it then buy SEM color coat products - single stage spray paint, still pretty good stuff.

the dash pad is SEM colorcoat, the dash frame and all metal is Hot Rod Black

Posted By: kentj340

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 07:06 AM

See factory service manual, page 12-9 here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

It is a bit misleading in that the interior uses both some exterior paint and some non-exterior paint. Just know that some exterior paint is used in the interior. All the parts are listed for each gloss.

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 07:59 AM

Hey Lindy.

Thanks for the info!

Van

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 08:01 AM

Wow edp, looks awesome!

How about we just trade dashes. I get a great looking dash quickly and you get the opportunity to do it again!! Win/win!!!!

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 08:02 AM

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it!

Thanks to all.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 01:17 PM

I used what is in the FSM, It's DIA 9288? lacquer and matched my original dashes perfectly. Can still get lacquer around here.

It's a wonderful paint, I used it on all my interior pieces on my 71 and many other things. It has just the right finish.
Posted By: edp

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 02:51 PM

Quote:

Wow edp, looks awesome!

How about we just trade dashes. I get a great looking dash quickly and you get the opportunity to do it again!! Win/win!!!!

No problem, just bring that orange beast in your Avatar & we'll swap straight across !
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 08:22 PM

At the time I did my dash frame, column, interior door, and metal sail panels with Sikkens Ralley Black - also a two part that looks like the hot rod black (low or semi-gloss). I just didn't care for the factory suede which is quite flat. Not quite as glossy as it looks in the flash photos below. BUT, if authenticity is important, then stick with the suedes.

And I love SEM Landau Black in a rattle can for the plastics.

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/22/14 09:30 PM

The dash frame is a swede texture, and the column I think is smoother.
PM sent.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/24/14 02:44 PM

Do you just want it to look nice and finished or do you want it to look factory original. If just nice all the paints listed will work. If you want it original, only one paint will work. Very hard to come by but the difference is visable. Here is the original suede laquer paint used by the factory on the dash and steering column.

Attached picture 8086522-Dash2originalpaint.jpg
Posted By: pro-streeter

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/24/14 03:27 PM

SEM is the product I use. Start by prepping the surface with scotch brite or if possible strip it. Use Wax and Grease remover etch prime all bare metal then apply SEM 38363 Sand free to promote adhesion. Top coat with SEM 15013 Landau Black. I have used this process 2 times now and the result is great. Try a test piece before you do the whole dash so you have an idea of the final finish. I have taken mine to several shows and have had rave reviews of the final product. SEM product lays out soooo nice.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/24/14 05:22 PM

Quote:

Wow edp, looks awesome!

Posted By: GMP440

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/24/14 07:14 PM

Did a restoration on a 68' Roadrunner 1 1/2 years ago. We used Rustleum satin black reduced with acetone on the dash frame and steering column. Came out great, still looks great.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/25/14 08:13 PM

I use sem in the spray can unless it's an all out resto. I used a can on a 69 gtx that still had the original dash paint, while touching it up, it's almost an exact match.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/25/14 08:52 PM

I've used semi-flat not semi-gloss I think they also call it satin.
Posted By: Hoop

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/29/14 11:53 PM

I used satin on my column, looks good, but Witch one looks more like factory semi-gloss or satin?
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Painting dash frame and steering column. What paint? - 03/30/14 05:27 AM

PPG DP90 in my AAR as recommended by Batalson. Looks awesome.
© 2024 Moparts Forums