Moparts

Body filler Rage vs Bondo

Posted By: moparmikethree

Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/13/14 10:16 PM

I know in the past Bondo was not that good of a body filler but it was cheap. Has their quality gotten any better? I like using RAGE but i just paid $62.00 for a gallon. What does the numbers on the side of a Rage can indicate? 105 110 120 ?
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/13/14 10:45 PM

I know my local paint store their house brand is actually rage in a different can. It runs down the same line just a different packaging. The price is about 60% of rage too. You might want to see if your local supply house has a house brand and who makes it.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/13/14 10:47 PM

Bondo is heavy. Avoid it.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/13/14 10:56 PM

What is Rage? And do you know what it is based on? Bondo is polyester based, which shrinks, and crakes, and is heavy. I know of a filler that is not polyester based and weighs less than 4 lbs. a gallon, but is $$$$ Tell me about this Rage please.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/13/14 11:25 PM

I've got a buddy in the paint/body supply business. He sold my son a gallon of filler simply called "Gold" (Pro Line Performance Products) and was told it's the exact same product as Evercoat Rage Gold but at a much lower price than the Evercoat label. Just compared a can of each and the ingredients (and numbers) and packaged weight are identical.

The Evercoat fillers are "lighter" and easier to sand than Bondo. Primarily poly resin and styrene (+talc and other ingedients).
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/14/14 04:35 PM

on my current project , I was nearly complete but needed a couple of quarts to finish it..
Bought some Bondo at Advance... WOW what a Pain to finish out.
By the time I got it sanded down, the money I didn't spend for Rage was quickly replaced by money on Sandpaper, electricity for the air compressor, time spent sanding and then... it had tons of pinholes that took extra time and material to fix..
bottom line, spend the money...Rage Gold. Say NO to
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/14/14 07:16 PM

I use Evercoat Lightweight filler, costs about 15 at the local carquest. I can't justify spending 50 plus when 90% of it ends up as dust on the floor.
Posted By: Charger_440

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/14/14 09:27 PM

Every guy is going to have their go-to product...As far as non metallic fillers go, I like Rage Xtreme. it's easy to work with and to finish out. it covers easier than Bondo. you dont have to worry so much about the pin holes like you do with actual bondo. I feel that it is well worth the price for the time and frustration it saves.
Posted By: bronze69

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/14/14 11:34 PM

I have recently started using Evercoat's Quantum line of fillers, and absolutely love it. It uses temperature specific catalyst instead of the regular old hardener, and more of it. (2 tubes to a half gallon) It can easily be sanded with 120 grit paper, 80 grit makes it real easy. Evercoat Quantum Filler
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/14/14 11:55 PM

I use Rage & 3M Platinum
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/14/14 11:57 PM

Quote:

I have recently started using Evercoat's Quantum line of fillers, and absolutely love it. It uses temperature specific catalyst instead of the regular old hardener, and more of it. (2 tubes to a half gallon) It can easily be sanded with 120 grit paper, 80 grit makes it real easy. Evercoat Quantum Filler

Quantum is definitely the best filler I've ever used. Sands like butter and you don't need a glaze or finishing putty because it will finish out perfectly. It's also different because it's a hybrid epoxy/polyester filler, so it can go direct to metal. All the epoxy-prime-before-bodywork fanboys will disagree, but since it can there is no reason not to do it.
Posted By: moparmikethree

Re: Body filler Rage vs Bondo - 03/17/14 08:16 PM

Does anyone know what the numbers on the side of the Rage can mean?
Like 105, 120, 125,
© 2024 Moparts Forums