Moparts

Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks

Posted By: dynorad

Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/11/14 12:06 AM

Dos anyone have a good method to retexture the vinyl coated metal seatbacks? I have some with scuffs and have not had any luck so far. I want the repair to be undetectable if possible.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/11/14 12:13 AM

This might work, don't know. Put some oil or slick wet substance on a section of the vinyl then take a high quality rtv or other sealer and put over the slick section. After it has cured pull it off and it should have the pattern imbedded in it. Now the tricky part,quickly heat one spot at a time with a small torch and quickly press down with the sealer and quickly pull off. You need the vinyl kind of fluid so it can retain the pattern off of the sealer.

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/11/14 03:52 AM

I have tried a kit that is meant to do just that. I have a good grain pattern molded. The part that doesn't work is getting the texture into the patch vinyl.Press lightly and the pattern doesn't transfer, and press hard and the pattern flattens out. I have also tried epoxy, which gives a nice texture but the outline of the patch is easily visible.
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/11/14 06:59 PM

I had them powder coated wrinkle finish...looks great and its durable.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/11/14 07:24 PM

I'm liking this idea for mine!
Quote:

Posted By: floridian

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/11/14 07:39 PM

Quote:

I scraped off the vinyl texture, did some body work on the metal backing and painted mine. I think they look twice as nice as that ugly texture..

ALOT of work scraping off the texture.. I hot tanked em, sent em to the metal dipper, neither of these worked at all.. Used a torch with a razor blade scraping tool, then DA'd the rest of it..

Attached picture 8070122-5554552-vertbaseball2.jpg
Posted By: Explodo

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/12/14 03:39 PM

Why not just get matching vinyl and apply that? That's been my plan for when I get to that. I'd always assumed that that's what was on he back of the seats since that's what it looks like.

Re: Restoring 66-67 bucket seatbacks - 03/15/14 12:21 AM

I'll consider the wrinkle finish idea. There are some very tight curves on the seatback that would be very difficult to get the vinyl to follow.
Nobody's had any luck with original finish?

I have attached a picture from the GTX's maiden voyage last summer.

Attached picture 8074051-IMG_0481.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums