Moparts

X pipe systems: What do you run? GV or not?

Posted By: Kern Dog

X pipe systems: What do you run? GV or not? - 03/08/14 06:57 AM

I want to make a change to my exhaust system in the Charger. 493 with a 727 and a gear Vendors overdrive.
Currently I have 2" TTI headers on the 493. I have 2 1/2" pipes with Flowmaster 42541 mufflers and 2 1/2" tailpipes. A month ago I added a 2 1/4" H pipe.
I looked at the TTI site and saw that they do have a 3" exhaust system for my car but their X pipe kit doesn't fit cars with the Gear Vendors OD. I figure I'll piece together some stuff and let a muffler guy bend the pipes and weld it all up. I've read good things about the Dynomax Welded Ultra Flo mufflers. Summit has this welded X pipe:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-xp6/overview/
I have seen other types elsewhere though. Some look like 2 pipes laid alongside each other. Which do you think are more effective? I understand that the advantages of the X pipe is additional torque and slightly quieter exhaust tone.

Re: Many types of exhaust X pipes ! - 03/08/14 07:12 AM

I'm not one to just jump onto the cheapest option. This one looks a bit more exotic but I'm curious if there is an advantage to the design.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/69A2672A0A0.aspx
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Many types of exhaust X pipes ! - 03/08/14 12:17 PM

I have a Magnaflow 3 inch system on my car. The X-pipe actually quieted the exhaust down

Posted By: gch

Re: Many types of exhaust X pipes ! - 03/08/14 04:03 PM

The magnaflow tru x is a nice piece.I have the original(?) x pipe on my Polara (Dr Gas) and will buy another from them if ever needed.

http://www.drgas.com/xpipes

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/09/14 09:17 AM

I was looking through the archives and saw this thread:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=2&vc=1
I forgot I started that thread but apparantly I've been interested in these Dynomax mufflers for a few years.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/09/14 05:20 PM

So, for comparison sakes, I'll talk about my 04 Ram, 5.7. I had the stock exhaust and 55 Gallon drum sized muffler replaced. Based on the muffler shops recommendation, I first installed 2 1/2" necking down to 2 1/4" at the tips, duals with an x-pipe and MagnaFlow 18" mufflers. Since this is a tow vehicle, I was mainly looking for more efficiency and a little power. It was much louder and droned at interstate speeds and I had a lost of MPG. The vehicle is stock with a chip and CAI.

I then had the magna flows removed, installed Dynomax VT's. The drone is gone. Still no seat of the pants power difference feel. Mileage is back up to where is was stock. It does sound better. All in all I wish I'd just left the stock exhaust on it. However, had I changed exhaust manifolds to headers, maybe I would of had better results.
Posted By: billohio

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/09/14 06:16 PM

I have the TTI x pipe on my 67 GTX that has a hemi and 4 speed. 3 inch. I read enough on drone with some mufflers and got the dynomax vt mufflers. I should have gotten the ones for the bigger motors. They have a stiffer spring. Once in a while you hear a clang at idle like my exhaust is hitting something but it's the spring inside not being stiff enough. Dynomax said they would swap me if Jegs wouldn't. Jegs said no problem.... If it gets warm enough to get it out! I have a you tube video if you want to hear search bill foos
Posted By: Lefty

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/09/14 09:49 PM

Dougs X pipe and Dynomax 17747 Hemi Super Turbos. Quiet with no drone for my 66 Coronet convertible with a 440. Good flow, barks and howls nicely when you mat the go pedal.

Posted By: ditchdrift

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/10/14 02:29 AM

i run a summit 3 inch x pipe to 2 summit chambered mufflers. they are all very high quality pieces. I just welded everything together myself and its dumping at the rear axle.

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/10/14 02:31 AM

I wish I had a pipe bender !
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/10/14 02:43 AM

Attached picture 8068173-X-pipe001.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/10/14 06:26 AM

2" TTI headers and the 3" TTI X-pipe system out to rear bumper with Dyno-Max Ultra-Flow mufflers. It sounds great to me and no drone at all. I have never uncapped it as I always race it throught the full exh. Here is a clip where you can here it some. Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYIM2HLaOI4
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/10/14 06:35 AM

3" X pipe from TTI headers to the bumper with Dynomax super turbo mufflers. Can't find any pics right now.

Re: Many types of exhaust X pipes ! - 03/12/14 03:03 AM

I checked the links everyone here listed. lots of viable options. I was on the Summit site and saw this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-16405/overview/

The pictures look like a generic that they probably use for all pipe sizes. I like that the pipes are Mandrel bent. The price seems fair.
I've never tried to weld stainless steel though. Is it any different than regular steel? I have the .030 wire MIG with the CO2/Argon tank.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 02:42 PM

Quote:

Stu is that an example of what he doesn't want ? Granted it will be quiet ...

Re: Many types of exhaust X pipes ! - 03/12/14 02:46 PM

Quote:

I checked the links everyone here listed. lots of viable options. I was on the Summit site and saw this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-16405/overview/

The pictures look like a generic that they probably use for all pipe sizes. I like that the pipes are Mandrel bent. The price seems fair.
I've never tried to weld stainless steel though. Is it any different than regular steel? I have the .030 wire MIG with the CO2/Argon tank.

That's an interesting design as the side cross in the X , it's a true X , the typical X are 2 45* U type bends that are connected by a hole between the 2 bends.
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 05:00 PM

Quote:

I saw that before somewhere

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 05:18 PM

Don't believe all that is written about the "H" and "X" pipe configs. My brother has spent at least 20 yrs working with the EPA, California Air Resources Board(CARB), Environment Canada, and many certified testing lab like Carnot Industries in Texas and test labs here in Canada. He has shown them and proven to them things about catalytic converters and exhaust systems that even I didn't believe like exhaust gases flowing forward rather than towards the tail pipes before entering a cat or muffler.
As for what to run , it will depend on what the OP wants . sound is one thing , heat buildup , power increase /decrease, and what pollutants are being exhausted are all into the mix . The problem is , its not cheap to try several different X or H pipes and end up only using one. Before the OP buys anything ,he should check out other cars that have similar specs as his car and see what he likes and go for it .

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 07:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't your brother responsible for that abortion of a pipe ?

Posted By: therocks

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 07:49 PM

Ditch I run the Summit 3 inch on my 65 440.Then it goes to their stainless muffler exit at front of rear wheels.Its pretty quiet but has a great sound when you get into it.I cant understand why people pay over 100 bucks a muffler for a name.the Summit SS are super quality and a work of art.If they had a name on them they would probally be 200 each.Rocky

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Isn't your brother responsible for that abortion of a pipe ?

Im probably shouldn't waste my fingers typing a response , but its easy for the ignorant to use derogatory terms to make fun of something . John , put the "O" pipe on a dyno up against any and all of the others that are out there and then come and belittle it .

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 10:10 PM

So I have to axe you guys - WHY do you run X-pipes?
Posted By: wingman

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/12/14 10:28 PM

Quote:

So I have to axe you guys - WHY do you run X-pipes?

With an H-pipe my setup droned like crazy--drove me nuts.

On a suggestion I switched out the H-pipe with the universal Summit X-pipe and kept everything else the same--drone gone.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/13/14 12:58 AM

Quote:

..... even I didn't believe like exhaust gases flowing forward rather than towards the tail pipes before entering a cat or muffler.

That was taught and proven in shop class, 1974.

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/13/14 01:07 AM

Must have been a well kept secret as not many people knew anything about what happens in front of a converter. BTw did they have converters in 74 ?
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/13/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Im probably shouldn't waste my fingers typing a response , but its easy for the ignorant to use derogatory terms to make fun of something . John , put the "O" pipe on a dyno up against any and all of the others that are out there and then come and belittle it .

I love that "sort of a X-pipe" as it has given me countless fun stories of how it came to be. I ran it on my roadrunner for awhile and it seemed to work fine and always was fun to have people who needed to look under the car ask about it.

What the heck maybe I will put it back on for Spring Fling??
Posted By: BSB67

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/13/14 01:57 AM

Quote:

Must have been a well kept secret as not many people knew anything about what happens in front of a converter. BTw did they have converters in 74 ?

I happens in the entire exhaust system, not a function of the converter.

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/13/14 04:01 AM

I saw that picture that Stu put up. I didn't want to toss out any insults, but that does look strange!

I am intrigued about the references about exhaust gases flowing backward....
Is this supposed to mean that while the engine is forcing the exhaust out & thru the system, it is still possible that some pulses of the exhaust fights the pressure and moves back toward the front?
????

If this is true, what is this supposed to mean? What effect does it have ?
Posted By: skicker

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/13/14 05:33 AM

I run Dougs 452's with a 2 1/2" Pype's x pipe through Borla mufflers with tailpipes and tips. 383 has good sound at WOT and has absolutely no drone...or compression...or big bore...or big cam...but that's another story.

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/15/14 12:12 AM

I'm getting ready to order the Magnaflow x pipe kit. I plan to cut and weld it in myself along with the new mufflers. I want to have flanges to be able to unbolt it in front of the mufflers. Flowmaster makes a ball flange pipe set that uses no gaskets but is $93 ! I may just weld the mufflers on for now and have a shop fab up some flanges later.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/15/14 12:56 AM

OT My next one I am going to incorporate 2 of those "mesh" connectors, 1 on each side that flex to help with ex system rattling & less stress on the header pri pipes/welds from the eng vibration/movement
Posted By: dynorad

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/17/14 06:03 PM

Here is a shot of my custom x pipe. I built it based on an article I found on the net that said that there is power to be found in a larger crossover area.

Attached picture 8077734-DSC01065.JPG

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/17/14 06:10 PM

Here is the article.

Attached File
8077748-xfactorcolour.pdf  (179 downloads)
Posted By: edp

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/17/14 06:12 PM

Quote:

Here is a shot of my custom x pipe. I built it based on an article I found on the net that said that there is power to be found in a larger crossover area.

hows it work? I'm having duals installed right now with an X pipe but not like that I'm sure.

And since we're on exhaust, what is the difference between "HP / Magnum, Rams horn" manifolds for the 383 / 440 and stock ones?

Is it 2.5" vs. 2.25" ??

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/17/14 06:16 PM

It sounds nice with the 3" Ultraflows. I necked the pipe down to 2.5 for the tailpipes, and used TTI.
I haven't instrumented it to see what my backpressure numbers are but I'll bet they are negligible.

Attached picture 8077759-DSC01072.JPG

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/17/14 08:59 PM

Quote:

And since we're on exhaust, what is the difference between "HP / Magnum, Rams horn" manifolds for the 383 / 440 and stock ones?

Is it 2.5" vs. 2.25" ??

That and they should flow better .

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/18/14 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quite interesting. Thanks for the article too.

Re: X pipe systems: What do you run? GV or not? - 03/19/14 04:00 AM

The Magnaflow "Tru-X" kit arrived today. Man, stainless steel pipe looks nice!
Since I have a Gear Vendors overdrive in the car, the fitment of the X isn't going to be a slam dunk. It is because of this that TTI has a special exclusion for their kits in regards to these overdrive units.
I would think that it wouldn't be smart to place the X directly below the GV because the heat of the exhaust may cook the thin fluid inside. Does the exhaust run hot enough to pose a problem with that?
If I place the X in front of the GV, the exit from the headers has to make a sharper bend in a shorter space. I can easily place the X behind the GV. I'm just wondering if there are any drawbacks to placing the X back that far. Currently the Flowmaster muffler INlets are both inboard. To make the X fit, I'll have to place the Dynomax mufflers with the inlets toward each rocker panel. I see no problem with that but again, I was just curious what you think. It seems that as long as I have the inlets facing forward there shouldn't be any problems.
What is the likely effect of placing the X further back? Do you minimize some of the gains in torque?

Re: X pipe systems: What do you run? GV or not? - 03/24/14 01:25 AM

I finished up today. I ended up placing the X section directly under the front yoke of the driveshaft. I had a chop saw to cut the pipes which really helped. I still did the job with the car on jackstands which is obviously not fun nor easy. I tacked the 4 pipes and X together then unbolted it all to weld away from the car.
I had some nice welds and some sloppy ones. I had to take a grinder to smooth some over. I can believe how hard this metal is to grind down!
The car idles so quiet ! I can hear the cam and headers more than the exhaust coming from the tailpipes. At cruise it is so quiet I can hear a rear axle whine more than the engine. Funny how so many noises seem to blend together and you don't know that they are there.
power seems about the same. The air/fuel numbers are the same or a bit richer than before. I expected them to lean out. All in all, I'm quite happy that the car is quieter without a loss in power. It does have a growl compared to the raspy sound of the Flowmasters.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/24/14 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I happens in the entire exhaust system, not a function of the converter.

Is that what is refered to as reversion ??? Is'nt that why they "step" areas {smaller into a bigger port} like intake manifolds, head exhaust ports into bigger header primaries etc ?? Giving more resistance to the backflow pulses....

Glad to hear you've got the X pipe up and running... I used the TTI 3 inch H pipe for the GV unit and don't really mind the tone from it... I would'nt say it has a drone like some systems I've heard..

Re: X pipe and mufflers. What do you run? - 03/29/14 05:21 AM

I never had a drone sound before and lucky for me I don't have one with this setup. The sound did change a lot though. Every RPM point sounds different. Idle, revving in neutral, the down- rev, idling in gear, cruise speed and WOT.
I didn't expect a quieter system to sound better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums