Moparts

8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip?

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/04/14 09:32 PM

Do I need to use a special type with suregrip or just regular stuff?How much do I need to add? It is a new rebuilt 489 unit.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/04/14 09:36 PM

Yes you need friction modifier. 1 bottle of the FORD stuff (its very good) sold at Ford dealerships will do fine.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 12:41 AM

Quote:

Yes you need friction modifier. 1 bottle of the FORD stuff (its very good) sold at Ford dealerships will do fine.

does this help quiet down a high gear ratio?? i've heard it does...
Posted By: ahy

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 04:23 AM

Agree the lube of your choice plus sure grip additive. The parts store additive has worked fine in my clutch type. I believe it is GM spec. As far as the gear oil itself, generic parts store 80W90 will work fine for general use.

There may be benefits in something more expensive. Plan on sustained high speed running? A 140 rated oil (eg 90-140) may be better for the high temps. Synthetic 75 or 80W140 would be even better. Plan on arctic running? 75W90 synthetic would be better. Racers sometimes run significantly lighter oil to get the last .01 second. I never wanted to rebuild a rear end finding out "how light is too light" so I don't suggest going that route.
Posted By: edp

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 04:48 AM

I picked up a suregrip 8 3/4" last year & the guy gave me a bottle of if I remember right - fish oil - of some kind as a rearend additive. Anyone know what that;s about or is it just old school lube methods?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 04:50 AM

Quote:

I picked up a suregrip 8 3/4" last year & the guy gave me a bottle of if I remember right - fish oil - of some kind as a rearend additive. Anyone know what that;s about or is it just old school lube methods?

That would be "whale oil". Years ago it was actually derived from whale blubber. Times have changed.
Posted By: edp

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 04:55 AM

hey maybe the "whale oil" bottle is now vintage & worth a boat load!

I thought it was a little funny but the bottle says something like "rearend additive"
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 05:21 AM

"rearend additive"

somebody around here needed that a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 05:27 AM

I have had good-luck with Mobil 1 ..... has a mild-scent of the old skunk-oil...
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 05:46 AM

Another vote for Ford Friction Modifier.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 05:56 AM

I still have a plastic bottle of that MP "whale oil" sure grip additive
Posted By: west

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 07:01 AM

I was wondering how long this stuff lasts.
I've got several years and about 12,000 miles on mine.
I'm going to replace the oil and ad new additive this spring but was curious if this stuff stops working after a while.
If I decide not to change my oil for a while would adding a bottle to the diff. be worth while?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 11:49 AM

Quote:

I still have a plastic bottle of that MP "whale oil" sure grip additive

Actually called 'sperm oil'. Animal rights people get it pulled.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 03:45 PM

Quote:

Actually called 'sperm oil'. Animal rights people get it pulled.

Yeah iirc I had heard way back that it was NS1 but I just assumed Ma moved on to a better (or cheaper) product even tho I had heard it worked pretty good. Now we know
Posted By: ademon

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

does this help quiet down a high gear ratio?? i've heard it does...

does nothing for the noise, just used so the clutches will slip on turns so the rear doesn't pop or chatter. In fact the correct way to use it is only use enough to quiet the rear and that's it, to much actually degrades the gear oil quality.
Posted By: BMChrysler68

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

does nothing for the noise ... only use enough to quiet the rear and that's it...

What?
Posted By: ademon

Re: 8-3/4 rear end lube with suregrip? - 03/05/14 10:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

does nothing for the noise ... only use enough to quiet the rear and that's it...

What?

does nothing for a noisy gear, IE if the gear was set up wrong. only use enough to eliminate the clutch poping and chatter any more does not help the gear lube.
© 2024 Moparts Forums