Moparts

Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes??

Posted By: cdp

Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 04:27 AM

Anyone know the apx. wt. savings when going from drum to discs on a 70 B-body??

Thanks
Chris
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:23 AM

I thought drums were lighter.

Unless you mean the race only setups.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:38 AM

Quote:

I thought drums were lighter.

Unless you mean the race only setups.

This may be a skewed arguement. The fact is, smaller, lighter disk assemblies will give more braking power per weight than drums, if you figure that factor
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:50 AM

Not sure if it matters. Did a quick search, and disc brakes weigh about 15 pounds more than drums on a car.

The only time there is a weight savings is if you go to a race type setup.

And big rigs apparently get a 40 percent weight savings by going to disc.

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:55 AM

Hmm...So I guess there might not be a savings, but a gain.

Seems years ago MA magazine wighed a complete disc change over on a Stage 5 Hemi dart they built. I can't recall the time frame, but its been atleast 10 years ago.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:10 PM

Going fast is fun!.......being able to stop the ride in time is better.......go with the discs, there's other ways to trim weight, without comprimising safety

Attached picture 4902523-0000a.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:37 PM

The factory cast iron calipers are heavy but if you use a modern aluminum caliper you can save a lot of weight.

The setup with drum brake spindles, 11.75 rotors and Viper calipers is fairly lightweight but works really well.
Posted By: dmerc

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 05:52 PM

A lot of weight can be saved by going with two piece aluminum hub discs also. Those one piece disc assy's are heavy.

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 07:39 PM

This is a budget deal, so I'm thinking of going with Tallzag mounts with truck calipers and big rotors.

I think the whole deal will set me back $500 if I use new/recon. parts. I may go to the you-pick-it and try and get a bargain.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 07:48 PM

IMO the real advantage to disc brakes is that they will not fade with heat as quickly as a drum brake will with repeated braking. Drums will lock you up as quick or quicker due to the rotational turning of the drum pulling the shoes into the drum tighter which not true with a disc set up that relies on pressure to push the pads into the rotor. For racing I know of several stockers that use drums for weight advantage and less drag than OEM disc set ups.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 08:43 PM

Stock to stock the drums would be lighter. If you have 11x3" drums & want to keep them FYI there are some "velvetouch" full metallic shoes on eGay for $85 + $15 ship. I've bought several set of them ie 9" drum sets for my stock car. It'll be a VERY light setup & I talked to several mechanics who ran them back in the 60's & they gobble up drums like crazy because they are so rough & when they are warmed up they grab like gangbusters. but those 9" drums are a dime a dozen so no worries & I will find out soon enough if they will keep me off the wall

Attached picture 4902875-velvetouch.jpg

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 08:43 PM

I might stick with the drums... This won't be a fast car, apx. 13's or so. Its a 383/4spd Bee.

I'm planning on 440source Stealth heads,
DP4B intake, T-quad with adapter, headers, 2.5" exhaust and 3.91's. I'm hoping to shave off around 200lbs by using an all aluminum top end.

I'm buying a cheap digital 75# scale for grins to see how it comes out.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Weight savins....?? drum/disc brakes?? - 12/26/08 09:27 PM

Quote:

Stock to stock the drums would be lighter. If you have 11x3" drums & want to keep them FYI there are some "velvetouch" full metallic shoes on eGay for $85 + $15 ship. I've bought several set of them ie 9" drum sets for my stock car. It'll be a VERY light setup & I talked to several mechanics who ran them back in the 60's & they gobble up drums like crazy because they are so rough & when they are warmed up they grab like gangbusters. but those 9" drums are a dime a dozen so no worries & I will find out soon enough if they will keep me off the wall

When I said stockers I meant NHRA stock classes not nessessarly dirt trackers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums