Moparts

04 Durango 4.7 Waterpump R&R Questions....

Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

04 Durango 4.7 Waterpump R&R Questions.... - 02/27/14 02:34 AM

Got it all tore into. The shaftbearing wore out and coolant went everywhere.

It came apart pretty quick but just have a few questions.....

1. Is any RTV type sealer needed on the waterpump O-ring seal? Doesn't look like it, but just want to check. I'll clean up the mating surface of course.

2. What is the torque spec of the water pump bolts and the idler bolt for the serpentine?

Thanks for any help!
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: 04 Durango 4.7 Waterpump R&R Questions.... - 02/27/14 03:50 AM

no sealant needed, I dont remember if there was a torque spec or not on either the WP or the Idler/tension pulley but I believe if you tighten it down evenly you should be fine.. also you dont have to try to twist them off , from what I remember most of the bolts were tightened down to inch pound specs not foot pounds..
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: 04 Durango 4.7 Waterpump R&R Questions.... - 02/27/14 04:41 AM

X2 on no sealant needed. One of the easiest w/pumps to do.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 04 Durango 4.7 Waterpump R&R Questions.... - 02/27/14 06:54 AM

Did this a couple years ago when my 4.7 had about 160k, my fan clutch seemed to have play so I replaced that along with the pump. Just remove the top potion of the fan shroud and go to it very easy . No RTV needed, I just touque everything down without a T wrench, to remove the big nut on the clutch I just hit it with air chisel to break it loose. I would change the fan clutch, belt, and maybe the t-stat housing they are prone to leak .
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: 04 Durango 4.7 Waterpump R&R Questions.... - 03/02/14 08:39 PM

Just some follow up..........

got the new pump on, NO RTV, torqued it to 40 ft/lbs, reused the fan clutch since it was still VERY tight, added new coolant and it runs out just fine now.

Once I set that new gasket in and snugged the bolts into place, it was apparant that the need for any additional sealer would be a waste.

Thanks everyone for your input!
© 2024 Moparts Forums