Moparts

GLASS POLISHING..........................

Posted By: Thumperdart

GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 12:41 AM

A friend and myself are putting together a Fastback Mustang and there`s some scratches on some of the glass so what`s the best way to eliminate these. Thankxxx............
Posted By: rickraw

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 12:46 AM

eastwood has a good kit.

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 12:54 AM

I`ll check into it..........thankxxx...........
Posted By: jbc426

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 03:27 AM

It won't ever get out visible scratches....replace the glass and save your time.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 03:30 AM

You have a chance if it's laminated glass, however, if it's tempered glass forget about it.........
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 03:34 AM

Sorry it can't be done without distortion. Not worth your time of the cost of the kit from Eastwood, imo.

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 09:18 AM

Well that sux cos this is original 67 Fastback Mustang glass..........
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 04:29 PM

Thump I have always heard the rule of thumb is if you can catch your finger nail on it it's done. If not it will polish out. Hope this helps.

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 05:33 PM

Quote:

Thump I have always heard the rule of thumb is if you can catch your finger nail on it it's done. If not it will polish out. Hope this helps.

These are razor blade scratches from scraping off primer over spray..........
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 05:44 PM

I've heard that a loose wet paste of Bon Ami cleanser can get out light scratches. It has to be Bon Ami brand (not others like Comet or Ajax)because Bon Ami is made with feldspar, which is a very soft abrasive, and the others aren't.

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 06:21 PM

Good to know............thankxxx........
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 07:13 PM

I polished a windshield out on my old Challenger with a D/A and 1500 grit wet or dry. It worked pretty good, it was gouges from bad wiper blades.

I was too young and dumb to know I couldn't do it.

I'd try some Mother's and a damp powerball. If it doesn't work the glass is junk anyway.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 08:25 PM

When I lived in Michigan I took a tinted side glass for my '62 convertible to the local glass shop to see if they could polish out a pretty deep scratch. You could definitely feel it. They warned me that it would leave a distortion but they could get rid of the scratch. The scratch is gone and you can find the distortion if you look hard for it. I took side glass for my pick-up with a very minor scratch to several shops here in Illinois and all said they couldn't do anything with it. I guess it depends on who is doing the work and how much they know.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 08:26 PM

I have heard good stuff about cerium oxide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3OhIH15R0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxfV4TtCZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_...p;v=dBPV6jL_56M
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/22/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

eastwood has a good kit.

Works good if you follow the destructions...

Won't take deep scratches out, but you'll end up better than what you started out with...
Posted By: astrobuf

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/23/14 07:39 AM

Bon Ami is worthless, it is softer than is the glass. You need a Cerium Oxide kit to have a shot at it.

Astrobuf
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/23/14 02:40 PM

Eastwood kit worked on Challenger convertible winshield - this was 20 years ago so not 100% sure if the kit they sell today is the same one
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/23/14 11:11 PM

Quote:

Eastwood kit worked on Challenger convertible winshield - this was 20 years ago so not 100% sure if the kit they sell today is the same one

I think it's still the same basic kit...I bought Eastwood's bigger glass kit about 2 years ago for a windshield that lost the wiper blade during a storm...Polished out perfect but it was a wide,haze type defect not a deep sharp scratch like the end of a razor..

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/24/14 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it's still the same basic kit...I bought Eastwood's bigger glass kit about 2 years ago for a windshield that lost the wiper blade during a storm...Polished out perfect but it was a wide,haze type defect not a deep sharp scratch like the end of a razor..

So r u saying the sharp razor scratch should be easier? Thankxxx............
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/25/14 02:57 AM

Nope, harder....I wish I had good news for you but depending on how bad the razor dug in it might not completely take the scratches out...If it's just small drag marks with the razor completely flat then it should polish out...The fingernail catch assessment is a good guide to the damage...

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/25/14 06:51 PM

Can`t really feel em w/my fingernails..............we`re thinking maybe about tinting em at this point..........
Posted By: AdamR

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/26/14 02:43 AM

Tinting the windows will make them stand out even more.
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/26/14 05:51 AM

Hey Dom...a while back I took my truck to my insurance company to get it appraised for windsheild replacement as it had a big rock chip right in the line of sight, they brought out some kind of two part, mixed it and put it over the chip, gone, I don't know what It was but it worked, and you cannot tell it's there unless you look for it in the sun glare, so maybe a call to a glass shop or your insurance carrier for the answer.

Attached picture 8053238-pomona.jpg
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 02/27/14 03:55 AM

Quote:

they brought out some kind of two part

That stuff doesn't work for scratches or real small chips. I bet it will buff out OK if you can't catch it with your fingernail.

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 03/01/14 12:58 AM

Thankxxx guys, still not sure which way to go yet but soon........
Posted By: Charger446

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 03/28/14 07:25 PM

I bought the Eastwood Deep scratch removal kit and was messing around with it last week. They give you 3 different abrasive discs to choose from to sand off the scratch, then the powder for the second step to polish. I was using the most aggressive abrasive disc with a steady water stream to try to sand out the scratches for about 20 minutes on my quarter glass and It didnt really seem to do much except for making the area cloudy. Im assuming once I use the polish it will be clear again, but Im following the instructions, Im going to do it more this weekend, I just think it may take a long time.. the kit was about 80 bucks, and so far Im not sold on it.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 04/01/14 01:35 PM

Quote:

I bought the Eastwood Deep scratch removal kit and was messing around with it last week. They give you 3 different abrasive discs to choose from to sand off the scratch, then the powder for the second step to polish. I was using the most aggressive abrasive disc with a steady water stream to try to sand out the scratches for about 20 minutes on my quarter glass and It didnt really seem to do much except for making the area cloudy. Im assuming once I use the polish it will be clear again, but Im following the instructions, Im going to do it more this weekend, I just think it may take a long time.. the kit was about 80 bucks, and so far Im not sold on it.

Please let us know how it goes, I'm interested in doing this myself.....

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 04/01/14 04:28 PM

We were at it again on the glass this last weekend. I may have gotten a little to aggressive with the sanding discs as I ended up putting swirl type scratches in a few spots that would not go away after further sanding. Having said that, I used the powder they supply, mixed it into a slurry and polished it out. It looked fantastic everywhere except for the small scratches that I made with the sanding discs and on the deep scratches, they were still visible but not as deep as you could no longer catch a nail on it. Im thinking that glass is too far gone now. On my remaining glass, I didnt bother to sand out any scratches, I just used the polish slurry and after doing both sides, aside from a few scratches that were there, the glass looks amazing.

Id say its worth the time to polish out the glass, but if you are looking for deep scratches to disappear, not sure if thats possible. Its also possible that I wore out the sanding pads prematurely and possibly with more work I could get out the swirls, but at this point Im looking for another quarter glass for that side..
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 04/01/14 09:10 PM

I'm wondering about how you can see throught a polished glass with Cerium oxide at nights and headlights from cars coming over... Thats my problem. Is becoming hard to drive to me on those momenbts ( on my both cars, 1975 Mercedes and 1974 Charger )

both got small wiper edges schratches, but even I'd like to fix that, is not my big problem

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 04/03/14 01:24 PM

Thanks for the update.....how many hours do you have in it - how long did it take to do the sanding disc part and how long with the slurry? (and what kind of area were you covering?)
I did have a go a few years back on my side windows which are scratched from going up and down. I used some cerium oxide (jewellers rouge) and also tried cutting compound (which some have used with success), and did not seem to see any progress. I moved on to other things but still need to come back to these eventually, hence my interest!

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 04/03/14 03:23 PM

On the side glass I was working on, I spent about 20 minutes of concentrated sanding on each spot with each sanding pad, so Id say over an hr and a half just with the discs starting from most coarse to finest. With the slurry, It took about 30 minutes to get both sides done as it went quicker. First I went left to right, overlapping my passes, then up and down, doing the same thing. The stuff is like toothpaste and it covers well.

Re: GLASS POLISHING.......................... - 04/04/14 12:56 PM

Excellent, good information, thanks a lot
© 2024 Moparts Forums