Moparts

Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC

Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/19/14 10:47 PM

What would you use; onroad only, snow and ice in the winter, year round tires.

Of course price is a factor...

THANKS in advance!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/20/14 12:58 AM

I have run Michelin ATX tires and really think there a good tire.

Then I also have run BF Goodrich all terrian radials which also lasted a long time on my old ramcharger, seems like a good choice for jeep.
Are they the cheapest? doubtful. But I think they are a good value tire,either.
Cheaper tires you will get less mileage out of, both fuel mileage and rubber mileage, imo.

Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/20/14 01:45 AM

Another vote for BFG A/T's. Best all-around truck/SUV tire I've ever had...3 Jeeps, 1 truck. Excellent in winter.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/20/14 02:18 AM

with the Michelins and BFGs. Both are great tires. I tried a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on my pickup and have no complaints. They are quiet and are wearing very well.
Posted By: frank

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/20/14 03:45 AM

I had Cooper Discoverers on my wife's jeep. Wore out at 25k and of course it was my fault according to Pep Boys. I put Michelin MS2 on the car after the Coopers. Night and day change in handling and traction. Tire is expensive but worth it in my opinion. If you can get a sale and rebate the tire is price is par with lesser tires.
Posted By: finadk

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/20/14 04:06 AM

Goodyear Fierce Instinct VR. I have these on a 2002 Mustang and the car is actually usable in the snow and rain now. I put them on a Subaru Impreza and no snow can stop it. Finally added them to my 07 Sebring, Price is awesome $100 to $125 (check sams club and Walmart).
I highly recommend them!!

Another awesome tire is the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred. I had them on my 02 Ram, (under the Fortera label) the worn out ones had better traction than the new Firestones I put on. Great traction no so good tread life I got about 45k usable miles out of them expensive and short lived. I swore at them and Goodyear for the tread life but after trying other tires will put them on again. They are THAT good.
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/20/14 03:56 PM

Cool; thanks give her something to think about...
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/21/14 05:14 AM

Michelin LTX, at least the older ones, wear like iron, but the highway tread design does poorly in snow even though they are rated all season. Really most "All season" are going to be less than great in heavy snow. I did have some General Grabber AT2 that did pretty well. I have Treadwright's on my ram 1500 now. They have the mountain/snowflake emblem on them. Thats what you want for a serious winter tire. They are retreads, and affordable, but the rubber is soft and they wear quick.
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/21/14 06:28 AM

First off, cheap tires often perform poorly and wear out fast. Overall, premium tires are often a better value.

On SUV's I've had the best luck with Michelin tires.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/21/14 08:07 AM

Not a '04 GC, but '01 Durango R/T. Michelin Cross-Terrains here. Long-wearing. Fairly quiet. Very good in rain. Better in mileage than those POS Goodyear Wranglers they replaced. I have dedicated studded off-brand snow tires on separate rims for the snow, but I think the Cross-Terrains even beat them - maybe due to tread depth and stiffness.

Sister has those Goodyear Wranglers still on her '04 GC in the summer, but they really are crap in the rain.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Tire recommendations 2004 Jeep GC - 02/22/14 03:54 AM

I have Goodyear Wranglers on my GF's '01 jeep GC, oversize look GREAT. Fine in rain and dry, suck on snow (half worn, all season). Fat tires float great on sand or mud (where there is no bottom), but for snow, skinny tires with aggressive tread will cut down through the snow to pavement and go.
© 2024 Moparts Forums