Moparts

How do you get rid of mouse smells???

Posted By: GLR

How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 05:27 PM

I have a new set of Carpeting that the customer brought me for his car. He had bought it awhile ago at Carlisle and he kept it in his garage for quite a few years. When I opened up the box mice had gotten into it, there doesn't look like the mice chewed the black carpeting , just a couple spots on the underside were the jute is was chewed. But there was a lot of mouse turds and it does smell from that and mouse pee...Do I tell him to through this away or is there away to clean this carpeting to remove the odor?????????
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 05:36 PM

You can try shamPOOing it ....

Maybe Fabreeze , but they will probably only mask it for a short time ?
Posted By: Commando1

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 05:48 PM

Sealed in a bag with a commercial sized ionizer running for a week.
No lie.

Or a new one.
Lot easier and cheaper.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 05:51 PM

shampoo it from the top side and scrub it down on the bottom side. just watch out because carpet tends to want to lose its shape when soaking wet like that.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 05:55 PM

I don't want to offer the easy/expensive fix but if it were mine I would toss it. Especially if you know that the urine is in the jute padding. You'll never get that out. Mice spread their pee and poo because they can't see in the dark and us it as a trail. You might get it to where you can't smell it but, you probably will on hot days or days running the heater. I hate that smell. No way I would do it.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 06:03 PM

Quote:

I don't want to offer the easy/expensive fix but if it were mine I would toss it. Especially if you know that the urine is in the jute padding. You'll never get that out. Mice spread their pee and poo because they can't see in the dark and us it as a trail. You might get it to where you can't smell it but, you probably will on hot days or days running the heater. I hate that smell. No way I would do it.

The wrangler knows mice

Plus after several years rolled up the carpet will have lost some of its formed shape and be a PITA to fit.
Posted By: swapman

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 06:22 PM

My father inlaw had a 1980 Mercedes and a 1995 Bronco in his barn. Both were infested with Mice.

I pulled the interior of both and dropped the headliners.

I tossed a lot of baby mice and many nests.

The critters had ate the wire harness so the Bronco wouldn't run right.
They had gotten into the heater and A/C.
Bottom line it was a mess.

Took a garden sprayer mixed with 50/50 water and bleach. Sprayed the gutted interiors for 2 weeks and let dry.

New carpet, and problem was solved.

Had a upholstery place call me and ask what to do about Mice turds an pee.

I told them about the bleach. They tried it and gave me a Thank you check. They had tried everything to no avail.

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 07:25 PM

Thank you everyone!
I will tell the owner that it is his call but it is suggested that he replace the carpeting.
Posted By: IB-CUDA

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 09:03 PM

frebreeze... worked in my boys 68 torino....
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 09:44 PM

Nature's Miracle is a product meant for cleaning up pet odors. It worked for me to get rid of the mice smell from a motorhome storage compartment.

But considering this is a carpet not yet installed, I'd just buy another one and go with that.

Mike.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 09:55 PM

Do you want to spend a few hours doing a job you don't want to do and then bill the customer more than new carpeting is worth ??

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 10:03 PM

A friend of mine stopped in this afternoon and told me he had mice living in his car and it smelled real bad on the passenger side front floor pan area and he got some stain and odor remover from Walmart called Kid's and Pet's Odor remover and he said he vacuumed the whole floor and sprayed the floor with the Kid's and Pet's stuff and let it dry completely and he vacumed the floor again a couple days later and he said there was no more smell and even over this summer there wasn't any odor...so for $5.00 ...The customer wants me to try it. He said if it doesn't work he will just replace it then.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/11/14 11:04 PM

Guess it's his call, then.
Be sure you get in writing if he says it's OK and you install it. Hate to have a comeback on that. Even between friends, it's good to have it in writing.
R.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 12:36 AM

$5 for cleaner, $60 or more for labor and smell or no smell, he still has mouse pissed carpets. I'd be handing the carpets to the customer and saying "bring them back when YOU'RE satisfied".
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 02:46 AM

This works
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 04:01 AM

I thought that was for spiders ??? I guess that would work for mice too..

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 04:08 AM

Yea...if it was my carpeting I would toss it/ burn it...not worth the trouble but this is one of those cases were the customer thinks he is saving money. I did actually only spend 5-10 min on the spraying of the stuff and letting it dry over night. Tomorrow I will see how it worked, I will have multiple people here at the shop tomorrow and ask them if they smell anything... if it works, great...if not Well I did what I was asked to do.
Thank you to everyone that put in there 2 cents
Posted By: Russ H.

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 04:47 AM

Quote:

I have a new set of Carpeting that the customer brought me for his car. He had bought it awhile ago at Carlisle and he kept it in his garage for quite a few years. When I opened up the box mice had gotten into it, there doesn't look like the mice chewed the black carpeting , just a couple spots on the underside were the jute is was chewed. But there was a lot of mouse turds and it does smell from that and mouse pee...Do I tell him to through this away or is there away to clean this carpeting to remove the odor?????????

Look up Hantavirus then burn it!!!!!!
Posted By: MrNormsTA

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 04:51 AM

Have a cat pee on it and you will forget about the mouse smells.

Personally, I would toss it.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The wrangler knows mice

Plus after several years rolled up the carpet will have lost some of its formed shape and be a PITA to fit.

Jim... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I should have qualified my professional opinion!
Posted By: dodgefarmer

Re: How do you get rid of mouse smells??? - 02/12/14 07:19 PM

Quote:

Look up Hantavirus then burn it!!!!!!

No known cure
67% mortality rate
and for the "lucky" 33%:: 2 years of extreme flu like conditions

Randy
© 2024 Moparts Forums