Moparts

cruise control servo diap, looking forward to repro it

Posted By: NachoRT74

cruise control servo diap, looking forward to repro it - 02/05/14 04:43 PM

Does somebody knows where to find a replacement? two servo units in hands, both with broken diaphragm

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/06/14 04:13 PM

it seems, nobody here is interested on fix their CC if broken LOL, just power and tracks LOL
Posted By: serano

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/06/14 04:31 PM

Car-truck-year???
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/06/14 06:18 PM

Recent thread with same question;

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7998215
Posted By: Darter6

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/06/14 07:36 PM

70's thru early 90's are all much the same. I replaced mine on a 88 Dodge Truck with one from a 85 Chrysler Newyorker found in a wrecking yard. Brackets may be different but unit is the same.

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/06/14 11:02 PM

nice thread but these ones can't be fixed, need a new diaphragm

and on thread says NOS and used are easy to come by? tell me where and AFFORDABLE!

last ones NOS came out on ebay over $200

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/06/14 11:04 PM

for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-speed-...ff9&vxp=mtr
Posted By: FC7cuda

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/07/14 03:11 AM

I have several of the servos, is there a way to test the diaphragm?

Thanks
Tom

Attached picture 8029676-DSC03010.JPG
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/07/14 04:19 AM

Servo parts were never serviced as components, it's find NOS or good used only.

$285 is not terribily out of line for true nos
I've had/sold a couple of them in the past few years and not had a lot of difficulty getting $200 ea

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/07/14 03:45 PM

Quote:

I have several of the servos, is there a way to test the diaphragm?

Thanks
Tom

I guess sucking throught the hose and checking the diaphragm moving... or not

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/07/14 03:50 PM

while I'm agree they could never got serviceable parts, I guess must be around some ppl/shops who rebuilds diaphragms, because servo control is not the only part of the car what it works with vacuum.

i.e.: 68/69 headlight doors actuators, A/C actuators, Big truck brakes systems, Mercedes 116 door lock actuators ( is my case too LOL ), and lot of etcs...

then add to these, lot of medical tools or devices
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/07/14 08:12 PM

Service parts must have been available at one time because rebuilts were available from NAPA years ago. (NAPA # ECHCCR6085)
Posted By: a12rag

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/07/14 09:02 PM

I have always added the factory cruise unit to anything I got, that did not have cruise . . . kept going through the wrecking yards for the components : Servo, Servo bracket, lost motion link on the carburator, wiring - including brake switch and turn signal stalk switch . . .

Have quite a few of the servo's that didn't work when I tried them. Never thought of taking them apart. You could get the cable as a service item . . . as for the rubber diaphram - if it does have a hole, then why not fix using a rubber patch ??? I am pretty sure most of the electrical stuff, held up well on the servo's, so it would probably be just the rubber diaphram issue ??? . . .

Mark

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/08/14 06:02 AM

unfixable diaphragm
Posted By: convx4

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/08/14 04:48 PM

Sounds like a challenge.
If no one else is up for it, send me your bad ones and I will see what I can do.

I'm real good at taking things a-part.
Occasionally I can make a repair.

My thoughts are if it comes apart with out breaking the housing.
Then it should not be to bad to make a new diaphragm and get it back together.
It'll have to be tested st see if it it successful.
Posted By: therocks

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/08/14 05:33 PM

I might have some at the old garage.I pulled a lot of stuff from my Imperials that I scraped.I have to wait for warmer weather though.I dont like going up in the attic till its warm.Rocky

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/09/14 09:31 PM

not mine, but here is how it looks dissasembled.

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 01:16 AM

I think that if I had an old rubber diaphragm, I could make a simple mold. Then use a urethane rubber to make a new one. I guess that this would cost less than $200. So if you sold the new diaphragm for $25, You could be in business for years to come.
Posted By: rftroy

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 04:05 AM

Quote:

So you don't make a wrong diagnosis, you can't test the diaphragm by putting vacuum on the tube. There is an internal vacuum release valve that prevents vacuum from building up until, 1. The electrical circuit is activated, and 2. The input rotational speed of the speedo cable is about 25 mph.

You could, conceivably, hook up the electricals, and rig some way to turn the speedo input, while applying vacuum. Just be careful that you don't rotate it too fast or you will grenade the insides. I've never needed to do this on the few that I have repaired, but I wouldn't recommend using a drill motor.

I have the factory speed control manual, which has pictures and gives a thorough description of operations, but it is a 21Meg zip file.
I will try and find the link from which I downloaded it and post it later.

Robert
Posted By: rftroy

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 04:23 AM

Found it!

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm

Go most of the way down the page to 1972. It is the "Speed Control and Concealed Headlights" manual.

Some very cool stuff on this site.

Robert

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 04:34 AM

This is a good post on making urethane parts.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234881
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 04:42 AM

Quote:

unfixable diaphragm

What specifically is wrong with your's?
Can you you post a pic?

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

unfixable diaphragm

What specifically is wrong with your's?
Can you you post a pic?

My car and it parts is not with me, is on a body job, around 800 miles from home... BUT the pic I posted shows a broken diaphragm like mine is. You can see is not fixable.

I have in fact TWO SERVOS with similar conditions diaphragm

My car never got CC, but I wanted to install. It took me maybe 4 years to get all the correct parts from board friends and ebay. Mostly parts used ( except tranny and speedo cables )

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 04:00 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a challenge.
If no one else is up for it, send me your bad ones and I will see what I can do.

I'm overseas, thanks for the offer.

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/10/14 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So you don't make a wrong diagnosis, you can't test the diaphragm by putting vacuum on the tube. There is an internal vacuum release valve that prevents vacuum from building up until, 1. The electrical circuit is activated, and 2. The input rotational speed of the speedo cable is about 25 mph.

You could, conceivably, hook up the electricals, and rig some way to turn the speedo input, while applying vacuum. Just be careful that you don't rotate it too fast or you will grenade the insides. I've never needed to do this on the few that I have repaired, but I wouldn't recommend using a drill motor.

I have the factory speed control manual, which has pictures and gives a thorough description of operations, but it is a 21Meg zip file.
I will try and find the link from which I downloaded it and post it later.

Robert

yeap actually I didn't make a full diagnosis, BUT the diaphragm diagnosis was made visually LOL... it is broken!

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/27/14 05:06 PM

If GM/AC Delco got service parts for this, I don't think Chrysler or its cruise control manufacturer supplier didn't...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-Cruise-Co...47a&vxp=mtr
Posted By: surfman

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/28/14 08:01 AM

I have several cars that have factory cruise and for many years the only problem is that the rubber diaphram gets a small hole or tear in it due to being old and getting dried out from the underhood heat. I have successfully repaired seveal of these diaphrams You need to disassemble the servo with a 5/16 nutdriver and carefully remove the diaphram and the sring inside the case hold it up to a strong light and stretch the rubber carefully you will be able to see light through the tear as long as it is not under the paper washer under the metal pull cnter spindle. clean it well with acetone or thinner and buff the area with a stitch buffer then clean again and use a tube repair kit with the proper sized patch and rubber cement. let it dry then wipe the rubber parts down with armourall or a rubber lubricant not on the sealing lip though and use a little silicone sealer to secure the diaphram to the cruise case or it may leak. This has worked for me many times If the diaphram is extemely damaged or torn this will not work and you will need to get a donor diaphram. Good Luck

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 02/28/14 10:16 PM

trust me, I already dissasembled and the ones I have are not fixable like that... they are not just small holes

Now wondering... watching carefully the newer units, the cable attaching and everything... IT SEEMS the diaphragm could be same size from older units ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-CHRYSL...f34&vxp=mtr
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 03/01/14 01:37 AM

Quote:

trust me, I already dissasembled and the ones I have are not fixable like that... they are not just small holes

Now wondering... watching carefully the newer units, the cable attaching and everything... IT SEEMS the diaphragm could be same size from older units ?

This unit looks like the one I added to my Omni years ago. It was smaller in diameter than the unit on my '70s cars. You could try it, but I'm not sure the diaphragm would be big enough in diameter to swap them.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 03/01/14 03:33 AM

Quote:

Nope

later ones are smaller in diameter

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 03/04/14 08:43 PM

looking forward to repro de diaphragm locally... someone interested ?

just rubber section... plate and pin would need to be reused somehow.

no price or anything, is a project what floated on talking with a guy locally what works on a brakes rubber stuff factory. He told me is "doable". making some will make a cheaper production.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 03/08/14 10:48 PM

I might be interested in a spare, Nacho, if I knew more about how it would attach.

Re: cruise control servo diaphragm - 03/09/14 06:42 AM

I'll have to figure it out too... center pin is riveted to the plate, so I'll have to drill it out gently, just enough to be able to remove and maybe weld it back? dunno.

or dill and threath it in, to use an screw...

dunno yet
© 2024 Moparts Forums