Moparts

How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley?

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/02/14 06:23 AM

I used a standard pulley puller to get it off, but how do I get the pulley back on my alternator? The local parts houses are absolutely no help on old mopar stuff. Since the old pulley shafts aren't tapped and drilled, the kits they sell don't work. I don't want to put pressure on the front bearing by using a steering wheel puller. All I can think of doing is pulling the alternator apart and pressing the pulley back on with a hydraulic press.

what's the method?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/02/14 06:35 AM

split the case so you can support the back side. Freeze the alt half overnight in the freezer & slightly heat the pulley to expand the ID. Hyd press.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/02/14 06:53 AM

Quote:

split the case so you can support the back side. Freeze the alt half overnight in the freezer & slightly heat the pulley to expand the ID. Hyd press.

Gotcha. Freezing the shaft won't be difficult around here. A night in a ziplock bag out in the snow should do it!

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/02/14 04:44 PM

Quote:

Freezing the shaft won't be difficult around here. A night in a ziplock bag out in the snow should do it!

Makes me think of our member "Casey" the bear who just moved from the sun & the beaches & the babes of Hawaii over to your neighborhood. I told him that it rains (& snows) in the Northwest US of A (washington/Oregon) 360 days a year & he didn't listen
Posted By: convx4

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 01:42 AM

You don't have to disassemble the alternator to get the pulley back on.

What I do is place the pulley directly on a 100 watt light bulb. Leave it on for five minuets or so.
This will get it hot enough to expand so with a pair of thick gloves you can slide it into position.

I like to have the alternator on the car so I can check for proper belt alinement. Doing it like this is a bit of a pain, but you know its right.

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 05:10 AM

Quote:

What I do is place the pulley directly on a 100 watt light bulb. Leave it on for five minuets or so.
This will get it hot enough to expand so with a pair of thick gloves you can slide it into position.

Trick
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 02:42 PM

Quote:

That is serious overkill.

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is serious overkill.

After reading the 100 watt light bulb trick I would have to agree. So much for K.i.s.s.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 05:15 PM

Heat the pulley for a couple of minutes with a torch and drop it over the shaft. *no brainer*
Posted By: Mr340

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 06:22 PM

Quote:

Makes me want to go out and try it. only thing I'd have to remove a pulley first
Posted By: bonefish

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Makes me want to go out and try it. only thing I'd have to remove a pulley first

wher you gunna find a 100 w bulb? do these new bulbs get that hot?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 06:37 PM

Do it the right way,split the case,support rotor,press it on and be done with it,if you don't have a press get someone else to do it,don't make easy things complicated .
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 07:22 PM

Quote:

wher you gunna find a 100 w bulb? do these new bulbs get that hot?

1500 watt heat gun will do the trick.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 07:41 PM

Quote:

Do it the right way,split the case,support rotor,press it on and be done with it,if you don't have a press get someone else to do it,don't make easy things complicated .

Thank-You...
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 07:50 PM

If it slides on by heating the pulley then why is tearing it apart & pressing so much better? Could certainly understand if heating doesn't do the trick...
Posted By: floridian

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 08:47 PM

Quote:

Heat the pulley for a couple of minutes with a torch and drop it over the shaft. *no brainer*

I believe that is what a "Rosebud" torch head is for

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/03/14 09:24 PM

And how do you know when it's seated properly ?
Posted By: BDW

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/04/14 12:14 AM

I'd have to do some calculations, but just off the top of my head, I think I be worried about steel that would expand from the heat of a 100W light bulb?

Here we go:

Ok, thermal expansion of steel .0000076in/deg
100w bulb temp 470 deg
so: change in temp is 400, 400 x .0000076 = .00304 thermal expansion,
if pulley diameter is 1/2", then .00304 x 1/2" = 0.0015"
or 1.5 thousands, maybe that is enough?

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/04/14 01:31 AM

Quote:

I'd have to do some calculations, but just off the top of my head, I think I be worried about steel that would expand from the heat of a 100W light bulb?

Here we go:

100w bulb temp 470 deg

Enough pressure is required to seat the pulley on the inner race of the drive end bearing,if you just heat to install,how would you know it was there ?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/04/14 04:22 AM

i just push them on as far as they will go then you can pull it out a little at a time till its lined up.i do it on the car or run stand.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/04/14 05:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here we go:

100w bulb temp 470 deg

Enough pressure is required to seat the pulley on the inner race of the drive end bearing,if you just heat to install,how would you know it was there ?

Gee, I just heated the input shaft bearing on my A833 and it slid in place, used boiling water. Same deal here, let it boil for a couple minutes and it will expand enough that you will slip it on and it will stop when the pulley hits the race. It is not rocket science, just thermal.

Re: How Do You Press On An Alternator Pulley? - 02/04/14 07:07 AM

After all this I'm convinced. My next one I'm gonna freeze the alt overnight (tho you guys are saying that it ain't needed) then slightly heat the pulley & drop her on . I will not dissassemble the alt
© 2024 Moparts Forums