Moparts

2000 durango heat issue

Posted By: 65dodgebob

2000 durango heat issue - 01/30/14 08:33 PM

Heater control trouble. Dash setting works, but defrost and floor barely works. Advice? New control switch?
Posted By: jordan91

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 01/31/14 01:07 AM

Probably the switch. They are vacuum powered. Mine in bad in my 1999 Ram.
Posted By: duster2

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 02/03/14 06:34 PM

Wife has a 2000 Durango , also , and it take forever to get some good heat , unless it say 30 degrees or more outside. I have checked antifreeze and such , it blows air , just cool air. Temp gauge shows motor is warmed up.

Frank
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 02/03/14 07:26 PM

Quote:

Wife has a 2000 Durango , also , and it take forever to get some good heat , unless it say 30 degrees or more outside. I have checked antifreeze and such , it blows air , just cool air. Temp gauge shows motor is warmed up.

Frank

thats cause it has air pocket in the heater system iv done mine i dont know how many times
break the lines apart over pass valve cover take the driver side off the water pump nipple flush water through with a water hose and you will see its full of air
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 02/03/14 07:36 PM

May want to change the water pump. Even though not leaking. I have changed out several over the years due to no heat unless at speed it may get alittle warmer due to the impellar eroding to half of its original size & hardly pushing any antifreeze.
Posted By: duster2

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 02/04/14 06:17 PM

I know the water pump is maybe a year or two old. It doesn't matter , sitting still , low speed or high speed , it still doesn't put out the heat. One day I let it run for 2 hours , on a stop and go trip , and it finally put out some fair heat.
Hmmm , air in the system , is it a flaw in the way the system is made ??

Frank
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 02/04/14 06:32 PM

Id say so cause i have to do mine every year it will put out some good heat after i do it thou
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: 2000 durango heat issue - 02/05/14 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Frank

thats cause it has air pocket in the heater system iv done mine i dont know how many times
break the lines apart over pass valve cover take the driver side off the water pump nipple flush water through with a water hose and you will see its full of air

My 2003 does the same thing. It has rear heat and that is where the air bubbles up to. Since it is above the engine, it is hard to get rid of it. What he did was the fastest way to flush the bubble out. If you do that, make sure that you have a concentrated solution of antifreeze in the radiator and engine.
To keep it from happening, NEVER let the coolant overflow tank go below the middle of the coolant dipstick. If it sucks air into the system, you will have to do it all over again.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums