Moparts

Challenger repro hood question

Posted By: dodgex5

Challenger repro hood question - 01/29/14 05:44 PM

I need to replace the rally hood on my 72 Challenger and all the reproduction hoods I have found claim to fit 70-74.I know there are differences in front mouldings and their attachment as well as hood latch hardware, and that the original 70 hoods are different than 71-74.
Does anyone have experience with these repro hoods and their fitment to non 70 Challengers? And if so, could you post photos of the areas in question?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/29/14 07:14 PM

Mine is a Goodmark. It fits fine, but on a 70'.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/29/14 10:13 PM

I would buy a AMD hood as I have a goodmark and it is not right. It's not flat across the front where the molding trim goes, it's arched and the molding don't fit right.

It makes your car look like a fish with it's mouth open.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/29/14 10:37 PM

Depending on where in SoCal you are, you could always just stop into Classic Industries and get them to pull a hood out of stock so you can look at it, fit check a molding on it, etc before buying it.
Posted By: dodgex5

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/30/14 05:07 AM

I'm in Ventura and about an hour out of Los Angeles. I'd be willing to make the trip. But I'm also concerned about the hood latch bolt bosses.
How could a manufacturer make a universal hood to fit all years when the 70 hood was so different? I don't want to get involved with a bunch of modifications to make it work.
Anyone have a later original hood for sale?
Posted By: moparts

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/30/14 05:15 AM

I have a 70 Challenger and over the years I have had different year hoods on it.

I don't remember having a problem with latches etc.

I thought the 70 just didn't have the crush zone cuts like the latter hoods ?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/30/14 06:25 AM

Quote:

I'm in Ventura and about an hour out of Los Angeles. I'd be willing to make the trip. But I'm also concerned about the hood latch bolt bosses.
How could a manufacturer make a universal hood to fit all years when the 70 hood was so different? I don't want to get involved with a bunch of modifications to make it work.
Anyone have a later original hood for sale?

There was talk of NPD (National Parts Depot in Ventura) doing Mopar. But I don't think the ever did.

You could call Stephens Performance that sells AMD. They will be at Spring Fling and you could reserve a hood. Or see if they are bringing two and you could pick between them.

A local Simi Valley hello!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/30/14 06:42 PM

Quote:

I thought the 70 just didn't have the crush zone cuts like the latter hoods ?

Early build '70 cars didn't have the crush zones. Crush zones were added mid year.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Challenger repro hood question - 01/31/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

I need to replace the rally hood on my 72 Challenger and all the reproduction hoods I have found claim to fit 70-74.I know there are differences in front mouldings and their attachment as well as hood latch hardware, and that the original 70 hoods are different than 71-74.
Does anyone have experience with these repro hoods and their fitment to non 70 Challengers? And if so, could you post photos of the areas in question?

I have an original 73 340 Ralye that has a Goodmark hood. It fit the latch perfect. I do have a 70 grille in the car but it still has the 73 latch. no issues with hood bumpers either.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums