Moparts

torsion bars-new or re use the old ones?

Posted By: Black 69 Beeper

torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 05:20 AM

i have the front suspension out of my 69 road runner and i have everything new except the torsion bars. i media blasted them and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. do i re use them or buy new. do they go bad? opinions?

Attached picture 8006953-nokframe.JPG
Posted By: ahy

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 05:26 AM

If they don't have deep scratches or dents that can't be dressed out or other visual problems they should be fine for re-use.

Are they the size/stiffness you want? Different question.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 06:30 AM

Everything that Ahy said
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 11:46 AM

if you have new everything i would think about upgrading the bar to a bigger size.not hat they go bad,just a suspension upgrade.
Posted By: Dons Dart

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 02:47 PM

Quote:

if you have new everything i would think about upgrading the bar to a bigger size.not hat they go X2bad,just a suspension upgrade.

Posted By: wedgedave

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 03:43 PM

If your building a drag car I'd go with the 6 cylinder bars ,If it's a street car I'd go with a good pair of standard bars with no damage. Clean them and then coat them with a good epoxy paint or powder coat them. Be carful and repair any nicks or any imperfections in them first, They will fracture if their's any kind of damage, don't ask me how I know this.!!!!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 04:36 PM

What causes torsion bars to bow? Its a straight shot fom the crossmember to the LCA and all they do is twist so what would cause them to bow? Almost every used set I've seen is bowed!

Sorry to hijack but this could be relevant to the OP.
Posted By: wedgedave

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/22/14 08:11 PM

I read the post again and saw nothing about bowed or bent ???? Have no idea of what your referring to. I have been jacking with T bars all my life and never saw one bent or bowed only broken (IE) snapped.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/26/14 07:27 AM

Maybe he means the strut rods?

T bars can go bad over time. If you set the ride height and it keeps dropping back to where it was, they are probably worn. The crossmember socket can also wear and cause the bars to settle in after a little ride time, but then they should stay put. Later models were "wall drive."
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: torsion bars-new or re use the old ones? - 01/26/14 07:43 AM

I would never powder coat the hex ends...
© 2024 Moparts Forums